Nikon Z7
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 781386
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Nikon Z7

Is anyone shooting with or has experience with the Nikon Z7? Iím ready to upgrade to a new system and Iím interested in the Z7 or Sony a7r iii. Iíve always shot with Nikon cameras. Any thoughts?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Nikon Z7

You have already committed to the Nikon system, including both software and your collection of Nikon lenses, or at least ones that have Nikon mounts. Camera bodies come and go, but lenses stick around practically forever. If you go the Sony route, you must either endure the expense and headaches of maintaining two mutually incompatible camera systems or dispose of your Nikon equipment and and duplicate the parts that you like with Sony equipment and live within the limitations that the Sony system imposes on you. Go with the Sony only if it does something you can't live without and can't be duplicated within the Nikon universe.

And for the record, I shoot Canon, so I have no particular bias in favor of Nikon on that account, though I was strongly leaning toward Nikon in the early phases of choosing an interchangeable lens system, then started checking out the Konica-Minolta system, which Sony would soon buy out, even flirted briefly with the Olympus version of the four-thirds system. I came within a whisker of going with the K-M system but finally chose Canon, a decision that has since served me well. I have also picked up quite a collection of Canon-fit lenses.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Had a play with the Z6 for 3 days and thought it to be a great camera. I'd assume z7 would be exactly the same just more MP's. I'm not a Nikon user but found it easy to use and understand. The 2 function buttons by the lens mount weren't as bad to reach and use as some reviewers stated, but depends on your hand and finger and thinking.

Since I don't have Nikon lenses, the jump to it would be more painful in total cost, but the few native z mounts are nice, sharp, and seem like good buys overall. Didn't try the adapter to older Nikon lenses, but a friend uses his z6 with the 70-200 and loves it.

I've never been much of a Sony feeling person. It never felt good in my hands. A lot of people like the a7ii or a7iii, or even the r version and good for them to be honest. Shoot what you feel like gives you the best overall experience. I obviously shoot m43 which has limitations to some people, even me, but so does the Sony lineup and the Nikon one too.

If I was to jump and start over I'd have to go the Nikon route, but I have not tried the Canon R or their native lenses for it, but they (Canon) seem to be "all in" to it. For all my experience and use, I'd miss IBIS but from what I know about it that is probably all I would miss.

For you, depending on your current Nikon lenses, and use and feel of their cameras, it might be a good idea to stay in Nikon land... Doubt you would be too disappointed.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 781386

Wow! Thank you both very much. You are right, I’d have to jump ships and go with a different company’s lens mount. I am a little apprehensive about Nikon being new to the mirror less group. I think I’ll stick with the Nikon line, thank you again.
wespar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1507748

I shoot nikon and the z7. The output is amazing but the focus is not up to my d5 or d850. They are releasing an upgrade next month for that. The legacy lenses work seamlessly with the adapter. This album was shot with it https://www.flickr.com/photos/311674...h/40019194553/

I,shot this camera and the a7r3 and Sony had better focus but similar output.

Some Nice Glass
John
Tinstafl is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: