Body of nikon not reading lens.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 90079
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Body of nikon not reading lens.

I was not sure where to put this thread, Sinse i'm talking about a Nikon body but Tamron lens.

I bought A tamron 500-1000mm lens from amazon, It was highly rated and on sale for cyber Monday. The issue i'm having is that the D3200 will not read that the lens is attached to the body. This is with the adapter on and locked.

All google searches have given zero helpful info so I'm asking here. It did say on the info page off to the side which cameras it works for, Mine was listed.

Old 12-06-2018   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383
Default Re: Body of nikon not reading lens.

I believe this is normal with many non-Nikon lenses unless the mode dial is set to M for manual.
Jim Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2900

Does the lens focus electronically through the camera or does the lens require a camera that has a built in motor to focus? A couple of my lenses will not work in auto focusing with your type of camera but will auto focus with the d7000.
Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 309052

Link the lense?

If it is what I think it is (I cant find it on amazon), then it is a purely manual lens and there is nothing for the camera body to read from the lens.
Chuck462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

Have you contacted Tamron? If not, that's a good place to begin.
Mamiya2Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck462 View Post
Link the lense?

If it is what I think it is (I cant find it on amazon), then it is a purely manual lens and there is nothing for the camera body to read from the lens.
I found it.. LOL

It's a manual lens... And $119..... And it's not a Tamron, it's some off brand generic POS.... https://www.amazon.com/High-Power-50.../dp/B00KMFN8E8

All I can say is good luck.
24-120 VR F4
18-200mm VR
50mm 1.8 D AF
18-70mm AF-S
AFP 70-300mm VR FX
70-300mm AF-S VR
105mm f2.8 VR Micro
16-80mm VR f2.8 AFS
jankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil fox View Post
I was not sure where to put this thread, Sinse i'm talking about a Nikon body but Tamron lens.

I bought A tamron 500-1000mm lens from amazon, It was highly rated and on sale for cyber Monday. The issue i'm having is that the D3200 will not read that the lens is attached to the body. This is with the adapter on and locked.

All google searches have given zero helpful info so I'm asking here. It did say on the info page off to the side which cameras it works for, Mine was listed.

Highly rated by who?

A 500-1000mm lens for $119... Come on lets be realistic.

That's NOT a Tamron lens by the way, they don't make that lens nor do they make a 250-500mm.
24-120 VR F4
18-200mm VR
50mm 1.8 D AF
18-70mm AF-S
AFP 70-300mm VR FX
70-300mm AF-S VR
105mm f2.8 VR Micro
16-80mm VR f2.8 AFS
jankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544
Editing OK?: Ask First

This isn't even a zoom lens. Instead, it is a 500 mm f/8 lens kit of unknown manufacture with a T mount, a T-to-Nikon adapter, and a Vivitar 2x teleconverter. It's no surprise that the body can't read the information from the lens, nor would I be surprised to learn that the basic (500 mm) lens has at best marginal image quality. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you get better image quality simply by cropping the image from the 500 mm lens than you could by using the included teleconverter, which produces what I would suppose would functionally be a very inferior (by my standards, anyway) 1000 mm f/16 lens. I already have a decent Sigma 150-500 mm f/5-6.3 lens. Sample pic from it here.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: