Nikon D90 Weird Issue during multiple exposures
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3038224
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Nikon D90 Weird Issue during multiple exposures

I have used this camera for many years for a single purpose, shooting meteor showers with an intervalometer, without fail, but last night I had something really unusual happen.

I set my camera to manual, 30 sec, f/3.5, ISO 800, manual focus and started the intervalometer just as I always do. It ran overnight and collected 999 photos. When I started looking at the photos in the morning, the first 100 or so photos were almost completely black, but you could see a couple of stars so it's not entirely blank.

Then, it suddenly fixed itself and I could see stars again. When I pull up the data on the first images, it shows this:
f/0
30sec
ISO 800

Then, when it fixes itself, it shows the correct settings.

What th' heck?

To make matters even more confusing/mysterious, this morning my Mini Cooper's LCD display wasn't working, but it is now.

We live next to a Naval base that tests weapons, so anything's possible, haha.

File Type: jpg DSC_5591.jpg (46.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Nikon D90 Weird Issue during multiple exposures

“f/0” sounds like a lens connection issue. Remove the lens, clean the contacts on both the back of the lens and inside the mount on the camera. There’s not too much else you can do yourself if there are additional physical issues (worn mount) causing the connection problem.
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3038224
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
“f/0” sounds like a lens connection issue. Remove the lens, clean the contacts on both the back of the lens and inside the mount on the camera. There’s not too much else you can do yourself if there are additional physical issues (worn mount) causing the connection problem.
Thanks. I'll give that a try. That lens hasn't been removed from that camera for probably 5 years.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Well, in that case there’s probably a bit of dust or something that’s worked its way in between the lens and camera at the mount over time. Nothing life-threatening, just inconvenient.

If you had been doing frequent lens changes, the mount on the camera or lens might have been worn out so that it has enough play that the contacts don’t line up correctly; the wear is usually on the mount on the camera side. In that case, the problem only really goes away by replacing the bayonet mount.

cyclohexane is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: