D7100 + Sigma lens
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9679634
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default D7100 + Sigma lens

A few days back I dropped my D7100 body onto concrete - it bounced ! I could see no obvious sign of damage so fitted the lens I was trying to fit when I dropped the camera. Lens is a Sigma 10 - 20mm 1:4 - 5.6.
The lens would no longer auto focus. The rear view screen on the camera stayed showing the last photograph taken until I switched the camera to "off". I was now looking forward to a large repair bill from Nikon !!
I carried on using the lens, using manual focus was not a great problem on such a wide angle lens.
However...........when I put my Nikon 18 - 200mm lens back on the camera everything worked perfectly !
When I got home I tried every lens I have on the camera and they all worked - except the 10 - 20mm. Now, I hadn't used the Sigma for some time (it always worked perfectly previously) so it may be that the auto focus had "died" whilst it was in the cupboard. But I am mystified as to why/how the rear screen on the camera stays on if there is a fault with the lens AF motor
I would appreciate any thoughts on this strange one................

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: