So.... I just bought the D40.....
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 99419
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default So.... I just bought the D40.....

last Saturday! I am pleased with the camera so far BUT I am not 100% happy with it due to the fact that I am restricted when it comes to AF lenses. So I have been looking around and I see I can get a D70 for around $400.... or a D80 for around $800..... or a D70s also around $400.... so my question is.... the D40 itself aside from being limited on AF lenses is it actually better than the D70 & D70s? I had the D70 several years ago and was pleased with it but if I remember right it lacked speed?
I am debating on returning the D40 and getting one of the above mentioned cameras... anyone have any input or advice? Should I just stop my whining and get myself beyond those limitations by getting good at manually focusing or is there more to it that I will find later on that the camera is lacking....

* It is just a hobby for me but I would love to someday have some type of photography related job... I love to learn about photography and dont like it when I come across a *bump* (limitation)

married
half a dozen kids

My Facebook Page ..... If you *like* mine I'll like yours ....
akrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: So.... I just bought the D40.....

a bump? then a fuji is out for you. i would keep the d40 over the a d70. both nikon and sigma seem to be making more lenses that you will be able to use. while i was never sold on the hsm only part of the d40, i do think that there will be more and more of these in the future. here is a list of sigma lesnes that work with the d40.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3289
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

You just got the D40, have one kit lens for it, and are looking at a flash unit. Better explore the whole system for a while and try and find a weak link in the way you use it. Better to do that than to find the perfect thing for you now, before you even explore....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 99419

Awesome! thanks for the Sigma link!

yes, I just got it.... and I should invest a little more in it and get the flash and maybe a lens or 2 and see if I can find anything I dont like about it. I was just kind of in panic mode and thinking maybe I should return it while I still can and get a different camera that doesnt have the lens limitations.... I originally wanted a D80 but it wasnt in my budget... then I saw one for $800 and started thinkg... ( thinking is never a good thing for me)

married
half a dozen kids

My Facebook Page ..... If you *like* mine I'll like yours ....
akrab is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: