Anyone have any experience with the SU-800 IR Commander
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 77
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Anyone have any experience with the SU-800 IR Commander

I already have an SB-600 and would like to buy two more and an SU-800 to complete my lighting set up. I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with the SU-800...positive or negative. I did think about purchasing an SB-800 and one more 600 but then I started reading that the SB-800 uses optical pre-flashes to trigger the remotes just like the on camera flash on my D200. The problem that I've found is that the optical pre-flashes make it nearly impossible to take portraits without causing the subject major blinking issues, not to mention driving them bonkers.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

My Personal Website - My SmugMug Galleries - SmugMug Referral Code: zvsZOpJtKzUJ6
DeadSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Anyone have any experience with the SU-800 IR Commander

I have HEARD that the range sucks on the SU-800 compared to the SB-800, but the difference in range probably not a big deal if you're using the speedlights to light portraits.

Personally, I think I'd be better served with another SB-800, given the price difference. Your needs are different, obviously.
Old 12-04-2006   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

I've been telling him to suck it up, bite the weasel, and buy the SB-800 for a week.
Old 12-04-2006   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho
I've been telling him to suck it up, bite the weasel, and buy the SB-800 for a week.
I hate to say it... but I agree totally. What you are ultimately looking for is the functionality of the SB800. Get it and don't regret it.
Old 12-05-2006   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

You want to buy the SB-800... you want it bad!

Hey, I'm about to purchase a third one... you haven't been sucked in bad yet. One's a good primer.
Old 12-05-2006   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

I was checking out a Dallas Pro Photographer's site about a week ago where he talks about having a "rolling studio" with his bag, a couple of D2Xs cameras, various lenses, and 5 Nikon SB 800 flash units.

He said that those were his studio strobes when he's out on location and that they are plenty of light for doing say portraits of execs in an office room, board room, etc. He said he loved the wireless flash system and the Nikon CLS.

I can definitely see the advantage of having a number of SB 800 flash units handy. Heck, turn off the flash and use the silly thing to focus in low light.

Julio
Old 12-05-2006   #7
Guanaco

I can certainly see your point. I have been doing some further reading and found that the SU-800 is pricey for it's function, but my main goal was to avoid the annoying preflash which seems to be more prominent with Nikon's wireless flash system than with Canon's (don't start cheering yet John ). However, I also found out that the preflash only occurs when you're using TTL, which in a "static" set up situation (i.e. portraits or comercial photography) I would be shooting in manual and that avoids the preflash altogether which was my main goal.

So now it's all down to money...

I am going to buy another SB-600...that's a given. It's not the monster that the 800 is and works for most of my situations. The 800 however will follow later (when I have money in January).

I did notice something rather interesting that I wanted an opinion on. I've read elsewhere that this little gadget (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search) works in small studio situations where the remotes are not too far away from the camera (less than 15ft). For $12 it might hold me over until I can gather the funds for an SB-800.

Just another thought....

Ultimately, the goal is to not have ANY strobes "on-camera". I wonder if I could trigger an 800 with a pocket-wizard and have the 800 trigger the 600s...?

Hmmm... :

My Personal Website - My SmugMug Galleries - SmugMug Referral Code: zvsZOpJtKzUJ6
Old 12-05-2006   #8
Camel Breath

If you want all off camera, then it's pocket wizards all around.
Old 12-05-2006   #9
Camel Breath

Quote:
I did notice something rather interesting that I wanted an opinion on. I've read elsewhere that this little gadget (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search) works in small studio situations where the remotes are not too far away from the camera (less than 15ft). For $12 it might hold me over until I can gather the funds for an SB-800.
Plus you can use it to scrape the ice off your windshield.
Old 12-05-2006   #10
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho
Plus you can use it to scrape the ice off your windshield.
Actually...why not buy four of them and then they could serve double duty as mudflaps on my car .

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: