D80 preview on dpreview
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 57
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default D80 preview on dpreview

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06...ithpreview.asp , this is the site for a list of features of the D80 on www.dpreview.com .

2700 pictures per battery charge , "double exposure " function up to 3 images , cable release ....

dvdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #2
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: D80 preview on dpreview

Looks like it fills the gap between the D70 and D200 - though I guess that gap is not that big really... $999 for body seems like a reasonable deal. I'm surprised the flash sync drops from 1/500 sec to 1/200 sec and max shutter from 1/8000 sec to 1/4000 sec - in comparison to the D70s.

[edit]
Oh, and it only takes SD cards I'm not sure why that was done. People upgrading from the D70/D50 would have to buy a whole new storage system. That just seems daft...
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #3
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 363

Cool camera though!

Any picture galleries yet? Would love to see some pictures taken with the D80. I like that it supports AI(S).

The dropped shutter speed / slower flash sync is probably due to the concept change to fully electro-mechanical shutter. The switch to SD is a minor inconvenience for people who use CF momentarily. Card readers are generally inexpensive and more n more lappies have built in SD readers. The cards themselves are not a heavy investment either.

Cheerio. Sean.
sean_buerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #4
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

I agree it does look great in most aspects, and brings something to the table for those thinking of say the Canon 30D, the new Oly (if it ever arrives) and even the Sony Alpha. I disagree on the storage though. For those with CF cards and who maybe were thinking of a backup camera (I could have seen this being used as a backup to the D200) the lack of CF makes that a bit of a pain. Still, it does place the camera in its own niche - maybe when we've all shifted over to SD it won't seem such a big deal...
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS
I disagree on the storage though. For those with CF cards and who maybe were thinking of a backup camera (I could have seen this being used as a backup to the D200) the lack of CF makes that a bit of a pain. Still, it does place the camera in its own niche - maybe when we've all shifted over to SD it won't seem such a big deal...
Yep, true. And I was thinking about it... why? My wife has always had coolpix cameras so, while I'm not a fan of these things, we do have SD cards laying around. Maybe that was some of what Nikon was thinking about the memory card issue. We should do a poll and see how many folks shooting DSLR's have a digicam as well and whether or not their digicam uses SD. That'd be interesting.
Old 08-09-2006   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 17

Greetings
I thought it was going to be weather sealed? Looks good though and it will have a battery pack. As for the SD cards, well no more bend pins from putting the card in the wrong way. Would of like to seen both SD and CF cards. Look at it this way, if you go to shoot with a D1x, D2h, and a D80 you'll need to carry different cards and batteries. It gets very heavy and slows you down when or if your doing action photography or even a wedding.
I'm looking forward to the new toys coming out in Sept. I hear Leica will be bring out 2 new cameras this year one in Sept and a huge surprise in Dec. with new lenses, yes new lenses every quarter for the next 2 or so years all in 4/3 mount. I'm looking forward to trying the Panasonic L1.
Have fun
Roger
Elitephoto9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS
Oh, and it only takes SD cards I'm not sure why that was done. People upgrading from the D70/D50 would have to buy a whole new storage system. That just seems daft...
Nikon seems to be switching to SD cards for the lower-end, which is a bold move, though it started with the D50. I have a D50-shooting friend who's really, really happy about the SD card thing...
Old 08-09-2006   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 57

I have the D70 and the D50 and prefer SD cards . If they are the way of the future then why continue making cameras with Cf card holders ...
Maybe what we need is a battery pack with a built in "cadr reader " adapter that you can put any card into , with a plug in the shape of an SD card to go into the memory slot then you can use any storage media .
Old 08-09-2006   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Thom Hogan has suggested modular memory slots (swap in the right one depending on what cards you have), but I think dual slots is a better way to go, as many of us own numerous CF cards and would like to continue to get some use out of them for some time.* Also, ever try to change an SD card while moving quickly- i.e. running?* Worse, changing an SD card quickly with gloves on?

While we're here... Thom Hogan's take on the D80 and comparison table of current Nikon DSLR specs.

I went through the dpreview breakdown, and came out with this (purely opinion, based on specs no less):

1. New kit lens (18-135mm DX for 28-200mm equivalent view) offers a good range- my dad commented, "Cool, you probably don't need another lens [for general shooting]!" but the lack of VR and f/5.6 telephoto end makes it otherwise unappealing.* The 18-70 and new 70-300 VR is a much better combo, and a one-lens-fits-all solution is better attained with the 18-200 VR.* With all these kit lenses, Nikon's almost turning into Canon (four versions of the 18-55mm EF-S and a 17-85mm EF-S across three cameras- 300D, 20D, 350D- is still untouchable though).* Seems like a waste of production facilities and R&D unless Nikon starts binning the old kit lenses.

2. Big viewfinder is a major plus; no more tunnel vision is a nice thing.* I've found it hard to go back to my D70 after using my D2H as I can actually see through the D2H's viewfinder.* Big screen is another plus too; chimping will be more fun.* Also, when girls are chimping off the camera, they won't complain about the "tiny" screen previously found on the D70 ("You need to get a camera with a bigger screen!").

3. 420-pixel CCD for 3D Matrix Metering II from the D50... ehhhh this is a downgrade.* It seems to work well enough on the D50 though, so I'm not sure how much we're really losing.* I don't use matrix metering much in my shooting, so I guess I shouldn't care about this.

4. In-camera retouching- we've seen this on Olympus cameras.* Hey, if it floats your boat... go ahead and use it.* I'll stick to my computer though.

5. MB-D80 battery grip is nice, but it seems like the D80 gets a great life out of the EN-EL3e already.* Also, this is a small camera: why make it bigger?* Verticals will still be more comfortable, but how many people buying the battery grip will really need it?* I bet I'll see this used by some to simply "look professional".* LOL
Old 08-09-2006   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

Here's my thoughts....

I'm not psyched about SD ... have a few of them for my wife's camera, but I'm still not psyched up about it.

I can't comment on the 420 pixel CCD... don't know what effect this will have on anything, if any...

I don't understand why folks believe that unless a lens in the 18mm to 150mm range has VR, it sucks. That's not the case and personally, lenses up to 150mm as far as I'm concerned don't need VR and if they have it, it's a gimmick to charge more for it and marketing fluff.

The 70-300VR... let's hope that they made some improvements to the quality of the glass... enough said..

Bigger Viewfinder! YAY... After owning a D200, D2x or D2hs, you'd really not like the viewfinder on the D100 or D70 / D50...

Big Screen! WOO HOO! I love it on the D200.

In camera retouching? Not my thing either, but whatever floats other people's boats.

Battery grip - AH... folks are all about these things. I say "How many EN EL3e batteries can I get for that same $200?"

Julio

www.pbase.com/loansharkx

Nikonfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: