Went to town to look...probably not a good idea.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 23726024
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Went to town to look...probably not a good idea.

I had the day off today so I went to town to look for the "Understanding Exposure" book. While there I stopped in to the camera store (Black's) to talk to them about macro lenses. Well I ended up ordering one that was on sale but I am not sure it is a "good" lens. It is the sigma 17-70mm f2 4.5 dc macro lens, does anyone have any thoughts on it? I did make sure that it I can return it if it is not suitable.
Thanks for any insight. I will post this on the macro forum also.
Taigen

Don't walk behind me....I may not lead
Just walk by my side....and be my friend.

Entered the DSLR world in 2009
Nikon D7000, Nikon D5000 - Nikkor 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 G VR , Tamron 90mm, Nikkor AF-SDX 18-300mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 150-500mm
Photoshop CS5
I enjoy taking local classes/photo shoots...always willing to listen and learn.
Taigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 3357
Default Re: Went to town to look...probably not a good idea.

Can't give you any feed back on the lens you bought but the title of the thread is pretty accurate. Impulse buying is usually not a good idea Research and rental is your best best to ensure you get the right equipment for your needs.

Start out by identifying what you need. Then research the various options, pros/cons, and price range. Then once you have a narrowed down selection rent one for a day and test it out. Rentals are usually pretty cheap and almost every good camera store does rentals.

Flickr
kewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 23726024

Point well taken Kewk, that is why I made sure I could return it. If it was not on sale (sales girl said it is probably being discontinued) then I would (and maybe should)have waited longer. It'll take about 2 weeks to come in so I'll continue to search for more info about it and other macros, I'd like to see some actual photos taken with it.
Thank you for replying and again your point is well taken and appreciated.
Taigen

Entered the DSLR world in 2009
Nikon D7000, Nikon D5000 - Nikkor 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 G VR , Tamron 90mm, Nikkor AF-SDX 18-300mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 150-500mm
Photoshop CS5
I enjoy taking local classes/photo shoots...always willing to listen and learn.
Taigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838
Editing OK?: Yes

Can honestly say that ive never heard it mentioned in this section. Usually its the nikon or sigma 105mm macro.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 37722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Can honestly say that ive never heard it mentioned in this section. Usually its the nikon or sigma 105mm macro.
I probably would have gone with one of these. 17mm isn't really an ideal focal length for macro work. It sounds like the lens you ordered is more of a general purpose lens instead of a dedicated macro.

Romans 1:16
nillapoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #6
Camel Breath

Thats what Im thinking. Sigma loves to throw Macro on their lenses for some unknown reason.
Old 05-18-2010   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 667

On the Sigma site, this particular lens is listed as "New". Probably why there has been little or no chatter about it here.

17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

The specs indicate that the magnification ratio is 1:2.7, not a "perfect" macro, which is considered to be at life size 1:1, but still, 1:2.7 is a lot better than most pseudo-macro wanna bees that only get 1:3.5 or 1:4 magnification.

It is of course made for DX format sensors (the DC designation), and at 17-70 s an excellent all purpose lens in terms of focal length range. the long end, would be equivalent to 105mm angle of view so a goo portrait standard.

Not the fastest piece of glass on the block, but still respectable at the wide end (f/2.8, and for the price.

Google the lens and see if you can find any reviews.

Jeff
Jeff Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #8
Camel Breath

Interesting how this comes on the heals of Nikon discontinuing its 18-70 lens. Obviously this lens was already in the works long before the announcement, but still... Makes you wonder why Nikon is discontinuing theirs. A successor maybe?
Old 05-18-2010   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 197661

Yeah....
You got sold. I heard that nikon once upon a time made one true macro with a zoom.
The lens you bought is a decent all around lens, but not a a macro. There are many lenses that say macro on them, but they are only refering to their closest points of focus.
This particular lens may have a better close focus than many, but as stated, is not a macro lens.
And besides, not to piss off too many people, but I would never buy a sigma.
nasoj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

I'm a relative newbe and like other want a wide range of lenses but its easy to get carried away.
I did a lot of research before I bought the Nikon 105 macro - expensive (in the UK) but well worth the it. I was "warned" as others have commented about the term "macro" many lenses don't do as they claim or give slightly closer than normal focusing. - There are some very good articles on the web about starting Macro photography - Google them

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: