Large format lens
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Large format lens

can any one answer a question for me/ i m just getting started in LF and bought a lens on ebay. It was cheap and I thought it was a deal. The lens was described as " Lens shows separation in glass". Can this lens be used or did I buy a piece of junk.

jbird0162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428
Default Re: Large format lens

You probably bought junk, but if you're lucky and it has a large image circle, the separation may not cover the film... likesay it's designed for 8x10 and you're shooting 4x5.

I bought some graphic arts (Apo-Nikkors) lenses for cheap and mounted them. They perform beautifully in the studio for product images and art reproduction. You can save a lot of cash on lenses by using a focal plane shutter. It costs as much as a good lens but except for wide angle, you never have to buy another lens mounted in a shutter again.

Separation in a composite element is essentially delamination between two pieces of glass cemented together. It compromises the optical integrity in several ways and probably indicates other problems with the lens as well. On the other hand, you may get some funky effects from the lens, or a perfectly good shutter that can be used with another lens.

What did you buy?

Chip
Old 06-05-2006   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12

I bought a Calumet Caltar type S-150mm f5.6 in a copal #0. the shutter seems ok but I wont know until I use it
Old 06-05-2006   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird0162
I bought a Calumet Caltar type S-150mm f5.6 in a copal #0. the shutter seems ok but I wont know until I use it
Decent lens... I can't remember but it seems like that was made by Rodenstock. Copal #0 is useful no matter what, you can fit that to a lot of lenses.
Good luck.
Old 06-06-2006   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 14

It was made by Rodenstock and if memory serves me right it was for 4x5 and years ago. If there is separation of glass you might find a repair shop that will take it apart, clean it, recement the glass and put it back together for you, but try it out and see first. Caltars were the least expensive if you couldn't afford some of the others. If it doesn't work out, the Copal 0 can take a lot of other lens.
Ted Austin/prophotoimages<br /><br /><br />Canon 5D, 20D + Various lens, 10D(IR'D),&nbsp; Pentax NX 645 Medium Format, Wista 4x5, Calumet 4x5&nbsp; monorail + Various lens<br /><br /><br />&quot;A bad day in the studio is better that a good day in the classroom&quot;.
prophotoimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19298

If you decide not to keep it, let me know, as I am always searching for inexpensive lenses/shutters to play (experiment) with.

erie
epatsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1385
Editing OK?: Ask first

Hello,
The calumet Caltar S 150mm f5.6 is a fine lens to begin working with in 4x5. The seperation you mention mention most likely will never be noticed in your finished work. If you use it wide open for normal shooting you may get some vignetting on the frame corners. By stopping down a couple of stops it will disappear in your images. The Caltar S was not made by Rodenstock. It was made by Schenider and sold by Calumet. It is an excellent lens. Look for the 210-215 mm version also made by Schenider. This lens will probably become your normal lens as a 150 mm is a bit short for portrait work. For Press work we normally used a 135 mm on our Graphlex's.

have fun,
C Webb
C Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 1096
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird0162 View Post

The Caltar S is made by Scheider, a good lens. De-lamination becomes a problem when the separation enters into your image circle As suggested, stop down. Also use a lens hood as lenses with separation are more susceptible to flare. Good luck and have fun

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: