Which lens to get?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 123
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Which lens to get?

I have a dilemma regarding lenses for my Hasselblad 500C/M. The background:

My paternal grandmother (her son - my father - predeceased her in 2001) passed away in November at the age of ninety-six. In her will, she left my sister and me an equal sum of money. Provided all goes well, I should expect to receive it in about two to three weeks' time.

I will use a chunk of that money for certain other things, but I would also like to "treat" myself to something for my Blad. I've long coveted the Hasselblad CF Sonnar 150mm f4, and I even owned one for a couple of months, but had to sell it without ever having shot a frame of film with it.

Now it appears my photography may branch off into another direction, so it's gotten me thinking about something like the Hasselblad CF 120mm Makro-Planar lens.

My dilemma is this: which one should I get? Should I go with the 150mm lens, which I've long desired, or the 120mm one, with its macro ability? Or both, given that my legacy will be large enough to accommodate them?

Despite whichever or both I buy, the acquisition(s) will be serviced by Hasselblad prior to being used, which is something I customarily do with any "new" Hassy gear (I have a couple of film backs that need to be overhauled, anyway).

(Believe me, I'd love to get a digital back for my Hassy, but it would wipe out my modest inheritance.)

Any thoughts, fellow Camels?

Dieter Zakas
Confused, NJ

Follow me onTwitter: http://twitter.com/karnydoc

Everybody is somebody else's weirdo. - From a model railroading mailing list.
KarnyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 45
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Which lens to get?

I vote for the 150 with tubes. Then you have the ability, but if the macro isnt needed you save 1/2 the money and can put it towards a nice scanner / DB. On the other side, spending more now may be a better investment in the long run. Then if you find yourself wanting something a tad longer you can sell the 120 and pick up the 150 with some $ left over. Oh, I just made this worse, sorry! =^)
onesaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010   #3
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaint View Post
I vote for the 150 with tubes. Then you have the ability, but if the macro isnt needed you save 1/2 the money and can put it towards a nice scanner / DB. On the other side, spending more now may be a better investment in the long run. Then if you find yourself wanting something a tad longer you can sell the 120 and pick up the 150 with some $ left over. Oh, I just made this worse, sorry! =^)

Gee, thanks a lot.

From what I understand, tubes will work only so far before "something" falls apart, whether it's image quality or whatever (the nature of optics being what it is), and the 120 would be better for macrophotography given it's designed for such.

What's a "DB"?

Regards,

Dieter Zakas
More Confused, NJ

Old 01-29-2010   #4
Alpaca

Digital back. The V system can take on a good number of the backs out there. But the question then becomes is the technology (essentially sensor size) worth the money vs a full frame prograde slr.

For the lens, if the tubes are out, then I would say get the 120. You have the money to invest now, if you find yourself not as enthralled with it as you thought, you can always sell it, get the 150 and have money left over. Hope this helps!

Kim
Old 01-29-2010   #5
Vicuna

Of course, the money I'll get will allow me to get both, if I so choose.

Dieter Zakas
Still Confused, NJ

Old 01-29-2010   #6
Alpaca

then it seems its the 120 or both. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2010   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19298

dieter, were it me, I would start with a 150C, T* or not, depending on personal preference. From personal experience the CF (and the T*) give you little to no advantage from an image quality standpoint. If you religously use a compendium shade, flare is a non issue as well (the only advantage to the T* and later lenses, in my view). The 150 and a few extension tubes can do wonders, while not technically as good as the 120, my images leave me wanting nothing more. I carry a 21mm and 55m tube with me at all times. Given the price that KEH has both the older tubes and a 150 lens, you're likely talking around $225 for the lot (I've never bought any higher than BGN grade from KEH and have been satisfied for the last several years), it' s a low risk with tremendous payoff. My 150 has become my standard lens on my EL for a while.

I have heard anecdotal evidence that the 150C is sharper and has a smoother out of focus rendering, my experience is more along the lines of as good as the later lenses, for what it's worth.
epatsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #8
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
dieter, were it me, I would start with a 150C, T* or not, depending on personal preference. From personal experience the CF (and the T*) give you little to no advantage from an image quality standpoint. If you religously use a compendium shade, flare is a non issue as well (the only advantage to the T* and later lenses, in my view). The 150 and a few extension tubes can do wonders, while not technically as good as the 120, my images leave me wanting nothing more. I carry a 21mm and 55m tube with me at all times. Given the price that KEH has both the older tubes and a 150 lens, you're likely talking around $225 for the lot (I've never bought any higher than BGN grade from KEH and have been satisfied for the last several years), it' s a low risk with tremendous payoff. My 150 has become my standard lens on my EL for a while.

I have heard anecdotal evidence that the 150C is sharper and has a smoother out of focus rendering, my experience is more along the lines of as good as the later lenses, for what it's worth.
While I won't dispute your claims, part of the reason for my wanting the CF lenses is cosmetic; they look "modern," whereas the older C lenses have a "dated" look about them.

Dieter Zakas
Undecided, NJ

Follow me onTwitter: http://twitter.com/karnydoc

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: