Upgrading an RB67 to Digital
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 153
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Upgrading an RB67 to Digital

Has anyone uprgraded their Mamiya RB67 to digital? What results are you having?

Old 01-20-2010   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 341
Default Re: Upgrading an RB67 to Digital

I assume you mean by attaching a digital back to it, which requires a bit of work.

Unless you have a larger sensor (P65+) you will experience a very large crop factor, which is a bit annoying tbh. The image quality is good ofcourse but the handling is a bit awkward.

the RZ67 Pro II D is better suited for digital capture than the RB67 and it can use the same lenses.
Old 05-02-2010   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19298

RB67, Betterlight 6K scan back and it's a marriage made in heaven. 6k x 6k image and beautiful, sharp lenses.
epatsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 5692

Super 6K-HS $14,995

Hmmm, I can buy an acre of land in Canyonlands National Park for that price....yow!
[Mamiya RB67][50mm f/4.5][90mm f/3.8][140mm f/4.5 Macro][Ext. Tube #2][150mm SF-C f/4][250mm f/4.5]
[Minolta X-700][16mm f/2.8 Fisheye][50mm f/1.4]

flickr
Vedauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedauwoo View Post
Super 6K-HS $14,995

Hmmm, I can buy an acre of land in Canyonlands National Park for that price....yow!
or used Dicomed FieldPro (first version of 6K) for around $750 or so.
epatsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 304
Editing OK?: No

Unless you are a pro who commands very high prices for your work you can't justify the cost of a medium format digital back $14,995 will buy a ton of film and processing for your RB , and the object of taking on commercial work is to build up your bank balance not to deplete it.
Ben Myerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #7
Vicuna

Perhaps, perhaps not, I use the same scan back for LF product work as well. combined with HMI lighting, it makes a nice, high resolution product setup. If the largest you ever shoot is a double truck ad, scanned film works fine, hell a DSLR will work fine, but I have several clients that require images for the sides of their trucks and such, and while Genuine Fractals and other upsampling techniques can do wonders, it's far easier to start with a larger file (looks better too). A used Dicomed can be had for <$1000, a newer SCSI based Betterlight should be in the $2500 to $4,000 range and won't require totally replacing all your lenses and bodies, due to the photosite size. Given what even a reasonably built Dslr lens cost these days, it's probably one of the largest bang for your buck investments. The first job I used it on paid for it, just to put it in perspective.

Define high prices, the going day rate in my area varies from $1,000 to 5,000. While I am on the upper end of that scale, alot of it depends on having the equipment to do whatever job is needed, my clients hire me specifically due to using LF digital capture, and the ability to utilize movements and control both the plane of focus and geometric corrections in camera. Outifitting a studio is expensive, even in today's depressing prcing. If I lost everything today, it would probably cost upwards of $100K to replace, and that's being conservative. 25 years of working as a commercial photographer gives you the ability to accumulate a lot of stuff, generally paid for through assignments.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: