Hasselblads
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Hasselblads

I have noticed a number of TV advertisements (non-photography) over the past few months for pharmaceuticals or weight-loss products, whatever, where a photographer is in the background taking pictures. The photographers in these adverts are using Hasselblads, but it looks as though they are using film magazines on the Hasselblads, not digital backs. Have you seen the adverts?

Is the 120/220 film for Hasselblads still in vogue?

TIA,

"Life's been good to me so far." -Jersey Joe Walsh
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 341
Default Re: Hasselblads

120 film if its the "older" (H2 or earlier), not even sure they make a film back for H3D.

220 film isn't really used today (at least damn hard to get hold off)

But if its an advertisement then it is most likely just a staged shot and in that case all bets are off on if the stuff shown is actually usable or not
Old 10-02-2009   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

I still use 220 quite a lot and find it very easy to get hold off here in the UK!
chris78cpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 639
Editing OK?: Yes

Jules, how could you tell that it was a film back, not digital? IMO they look quite similar.

I believe slow film still has a bit more resolution than digital MF, and when blowing up film, you don't get pixellation, it just gets a bit blurry (hence I think some 100ft building posters in HK are taken with really-large format view cameras, as they are sharp viewed very close)

But I agree with HuBBa, if it's for an ad then there's always a bit of doubt whether it's real at all or if there's any film in it. The Hassie might be a broken one bought off the web for all you know; the only thing that matters in the ads are that the flashgun works (not hard) and that you get the really nice mirror slap (I don't think a lot of non-photographers can differentiate a Hassie's slap from a 35mm SLR's slap, no generalising intended)

Smugmug - http://xxloverxx.smugmug.com
xxloverxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 9503

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris78cpr View Post
I still use 220 quite a lot and find it very easy to get hold off here in the UK!
I was going to say Amazon, B&H, and Adorama seem to have plenty of the stuff on hand.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D
and a couple bits of glass.
20DNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #6
Vicuna

Update.

Surprisingly, I have been able to easily fine 120 film for my Hasselblad (Amazon.com - Kodak Portra 400 NC) and just used the camera yesterday for the first time in years.

I had thought about renting a digital back for the Hasselblad, but decided to go with film to avoid having to study a, most likely, 80-page manual about the digital back.

It felt good to use the Hasselblad camera again and I’m pleased to discover that good film is still available for it.

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond.

Old 10-04-2009   #7
Vicuna

P.S.

And, yes, the snappy, reassuring mirror “slap” still seems to ensure that one has captured a good image with his/her/ Hassie.

Old 12-07-2009   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 104162

I bought 2 film backs [120] for my Hasselblad 501cm and Mamiya RZ67 ProII all new, and i was not looking to buy film back 220 but while i was in USA in one store a salesman gave me an expired film of 220, so can i use it with my film back 120 or better use 220 film back? also is it worth to buy a 220 film back nowadays if i am going to scan my film rolls or slides as i can't find labs to develop even 120? Still i never shoot film on MF or LF before and i am waiting to complete my film MF system then i will try, i bought many films [120 and one free 220] from USA so i can't wait to use them.
I also think that some digital backs look similar to film back.
Old 12-07-2009   #9
Vicuna

Tareq,

First, I don't think you can use a roll of 220 film with a Hasselblad 120 back. I may be wrong here, but I doubt it will work.

Next, considering digital backs for the Hasselblad, such an investment would be costly and, most likely, involve a steep learning curve. Considering that quality 120/220 film is readily available (and processing, too), I myself would not invest in a Hasselblad digital back.

However, please keep in mind that I am not a professional photographer and my observations may be supplemented by professionals who use Hasselblads.

HTH,

Old 12-07-2009   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 104162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Tareq,

First, I don't think you can use a roll of 220 film with a Hasselblad 120 back. I may be wrong here, but I doubt it will work.

Next, considering digital backs for the Hasselblad, such an investment would be costly and, most likely, involve a steep learning curve. Considering that quality 120/220 film is readily available (and processing, too), I myself would not invest in a Hasselblad digital back.

However, please keep in mind that I am not a professional photographer and my observations may be supplemented by professionals who use Hasselblads.

HTH,
That what i was worry about, but i don't know when and where i did hear that i can use my 220 film with 120 film back, but i maybe wrong i read it wrong way or misled or so, i will check that more later, no rush.

I don't want to buy Hasselblad digital back, the only digital back i will look for to buy in the future is Phase One only which can be used on many cameras MF or LF and great quality over other DBs, but at the moment i have H3DII which is good enough as digital medium format.

http://hamrani.deviantart.com/gallery/
Tareq is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: