Hasselblads - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009   #21
Llama

CamelKarma: 104162
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Hasselblads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tixeon View Post
Tareq;

That's a good idea.

I actually posted the above as a caution just in case anyone mistakenly tried to talk you or someone else into trying to use the 220 in a 120 mag.

I have shot thousands of rolls of both 120/220 film & it still amazes me how much misinformation is on the internet. As you indicated, it is wise to be cautious.

Good luck experimenting.
I don't use anything until i read and research about it gazillion times, this way i always or almost %95+ have less errors and mistakes, many people would like to be wise and philosophic way to advise or recommend something or giving opinions, and some don't do enough experiments and maybe from first try they succeed and then finalize their findings that may not be a rule.
Old 12-26-2009   #22
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

The entire question of "...are people still using film...Hasselblads and MF equipment" is intrinsically silly! Of course they are and why not.

Too many photographers are convinced that film and film cameras are dead or at least archaic! There is plenty of film out there but you can't, as allways. find professional roll film in a drug store or a amateur oriented photo shop- you have to go to a professional dealer and stock up to accommodate your work load.

I don't understand where all the hype and hyperbole come from- the photo press or a bunch of know-it-alls who know just about photograph to get in trouble and make absolute statements?

People who are well invested in Hasselblad and Mamiya bodies and glass are not about to toss them out and in fact, many pros invest in a digital back for some incredible "knock your sox off imagery". MF negatives can be scanned and all the digital advancement is programs such as PhotoShop can be utilized and the results are just fine.

In movies and commercials the usage of photographic equipment is almost NEVER correctly shown as to handling of cameras, types of cameras appropriate to eras or periods, types of equipment used in modern studios or anything else- ignore all that stuff from a technical point of view.

I am building a compliment of digital gear and use it for many of my assignments. I still have film, film cameras and a well equipped analog darkroom for my work as well. To me, one method is not a cure all for all work. It good to have more than one approach.

Ed
Old 12-28-2009   #23
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post
The entire question of "...are people still using film...Hasselblads and MF equipment" is intrinsically silly! Of course they are and why not.

Too many photographers are convinced that film and film cameras are dead or at least archaic! There is plenty of film out there but you can't, as allways. find professional roll film in a drug store or a amateur oriented photo shop- you have to go to a professional dealer and stock up to accommodate your work load.

I don't understand where all the hype and hyperbole come from- the photo press or a bunch of know-it-alls who know just about photograph to get in trouble and make absolute statements?

People who are well invested in Hasselblad and Mamiya bodies and glass are not about to toss them out and in fact, many pros invest in a digital back for some incredible "knock your sox off imagery". MF negatives can be scanned and all the digital advancement is programs such as PhotoShop can be utilized and the results are just fine.

In movies and commercials the usage of photographic equipment is almost NEVER correctly shown as to handling of cameras, types of cameras appropriate to eras or periods, types of equipment used in modern studios or anything else- ignore all that stuff from a technical point of view.

I am building a compliment of digital gear and use it for many of my assignments. I still have film, film cameras and a well equipped analog darkroom for my work as well. To me, one method is not a cure all for all work. It good to have more than one approach.

Ed
Well said or nuf said!!!

You know something, when i read a lot and just listen to others what they are saying or recommend or opinions i don't enjoy or feel happy, many will see digital all the way, others will say film rocks, so instead to listen to some i just go with both direction and i will do and experiment anything in photography myself and find things myself even it is done by others gazillion times, i want to have fun as others did, otherwise i just wait and wait and get only one thing and use it forever, i do photography just as hobby or fun so i am not limited to a gear, many of you working in photography so they depend on few or reliable gear that doing the job and don't look back, so that many of you coming to tell us that it doesn't matter with gear as long it will do a job and the photographer is the one who is important, and even i am late in photography world but that will never stop me to shoot and experiment more and also to get more gear to use or test even and have fun!
Old 01-27-2010   #24
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

The Hasselblads you have seen in these ads, I assume, are the classic 500/501 models and not the newer H series right? I think because they are classically associated with professional photographers they are often used as props. I have never seen a newer 645 camera as a prop. But either can have film or digital backs and they can look much the same except for the screen on the back as the only casual giveaway.
ChrisQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #25
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 37

Couple of points.
You cannot use film with an H3D. Very very few clients these days will let a photographer shoot film especially in studio, they just have become to used to the control and quality that digital gives them and the photographer. I have not shot film for 8 years commercially.
stuped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #26
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19298

I'd contest the "control and quality" aspect of it, especially for some subjects (architecture, long exposure night time work and food photography) film is ideal, at least in my studio. Digital or film is a creative choice, no amount of post processing can truly emulate film's look. I stilll have a few clients that prefer that I shoot film, due solely to the feel and look of the images or the need for view camera movements to portray a product in proper proportions (pack shots...).
I'm still a stickler for getting it right in camera, as typically 5 mins on set can save 30 or more sitting in front of a computer. Nothing annoys me more than the attitude from an AD that "we'll just fix it in post", as though there's some magic wand that you can wave to solve all your problems with a wave of the hand. Attention to the little details that we once obessessed over seem to have fallen by the wayside, with darn few people coming up in studios as apprentices, alot of those little tricks seem to be getting lost with the last generation of studio photographers.

Unfortunately, an AD that allows you sufficient time to work with either is exceedingly rare. For whatever reason, as professionals, we've allowed the clients to strong arm us into every job being a rush job, without the conmensurate rush charge. In reality, the job has been in design and conceptualization typically for at least a few weeks, there's little excuse for the photographer not to be included in the early meetings, as well as getting either blue lines or photoshop comps for composition.

Maybe I'm getting old, but it's a sore point for me as both a graphic artist and photographer, I know where I want text to be, what happened to the days when you'd get a rough comp to shoot to? The days of working with other creative professionals as peers seems to have passed us by, and now we're just a commodity, apparently.
epatsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #27
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 37

Long exposure night time work maybe.. I can't speak for architecture but I shoot a great deal of food and the quality from my backs is superior to drum scanned 5X4 film. On packaging jobs I'm working to very tight visuals which I can overlay in software to get the product the exactly the right position. I totally agree with you about getting the shot right in camera and I can see a great deal more on the 24in screens than I ever could on a Polaroid.
stuped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #28
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 123
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuBBaTheMan View Post
220 film isn't really used today (at least damn hard to get hold off)
I have a five-pack of 220 Fujichrome (expired circa 2004?) available for sale.

It's currently in storage in a non-climate-controlled unit, but accessible. (This unit is cold, meaning it's nicely preserved.)

If any other Camels are interested, drop me a line at dieterzakas a-t yahoo dot com.

Dieter Zakas
F-f-film, NJ

Everybody is somebody else's weirdo. - From a model railroading mailing list.
KarnyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #29
Llama

I have a pack of five rolls of 220 as well[Fuji], expired and i've got it free from one store, but i don't have a film back to use 220 yet.
Old 08-04-2010   #30
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

Hassy's have two backs, the 12 and the A12. The 12 will allow you to shoot 120 or 220. I have one and it works fine.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: