Sq-ai 120 back jammed any suggestions?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 1232
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Sq-ai 120 back jammed any suggestions?

I cannot remove a 120 back from my Sq-ai body and the film has not wound on properly either. Not had this problem before but this is an older 120 Sq-a back as against the 120 Sq-ai back I used before.

Any suggestions on how I remove this back from my Sq-ai would be much appreciated. TIA

Old 07-16-2009   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 300223
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Sq-ai 120 back jammed any suggestions?

You should be able to insert the darkslide and press the release button on the side of the body to release the back. Cocking the shutter or body is irrelevant to back removal.

Just make sure the darkslide is inserted with the release tab in the proper orientation (on the bottom). An upside down darkslide will not release the back, no matter what other problems the camera has.
Old 07-16-2009   #3
Llama

Thanks Dave

I checked the dark slide was inserted the right way around on this Sq-a 120 back. Sighhhh. The film had not wound on properly either; I think the catches at the top may not be straight so the cog wheel is not in full contact. I checked the exposure contacts on the back with a AE prism S and they are not in perfect alignment.

Any futher ideas on how I can get remove this film back from my otherwise fully working Sq-ai would be really appreciated. I have a Sq-ai 120 back and that works properly but now of course I cannot put it back onto the camera.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 12233717

"The dark side clouds everything." ―Yoda

Please Critique and Comment
Biff Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 300223

If you can see a misalignment, try twisting the back toward proper orientation while pressing the release button. I would think a misalignment would be noticeable in order to be so hard to remove the back. Short of removing the hinge pin and detaching the outer shell, and ruining the film, this is about all I can come up with. The clips at the top, as I recall, are really not able to be out of alignment by too much, unless the whole body has been malformed by blunt force. I'm grasping at straws. Any chance of posting some images of the body and back? Remove the prism so a good view can be had.

Not sure where to go from here until I can see the situation. You may end up needing to send the camera out for service.
Old 07-19-2009   #6
Llama

Thanks Dave it appears to be the film back and not the camera. I contacted the person I bought it from locally and after a bit of persistance on my part he told me he had problems removing it from a Sq-a. He also told me he thought it was was user error. Hmmmmm.

The film that was in the jammed back is already ruined because though the frame number indicated I had exposed 12 frames it had not wound on very far. My feeling at this point is it would be best to see if I can disamantle the film back to remove it so I can use my Sq-ai with a Sq-ai 120 back I know is working properly.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: