6x6 framing question?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 15390
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 6x6 framing question?

Wondering if somebody can help me out here. I got asked this question just not sure how to answer it. Personally I just compose and once I see what I like in the view finder from edge to edge I take the shot assuming that what I see is what I`m going to get.

Question: "Nice shot, I just ordered a 6x6 back. I've been thinking though, how do you know where the edge of the frame is when you're taking pictures?

The camera is a Mamiya RZ67 "

Thanks for any info
Shawn

Old 06-30-2009   #2
LA
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 356
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: 6x6 framing question?

Since my 6x6 back did not come with a mask for the ground glass. I made one using the trail an error method to block out each of the long ends. Larry
LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 300223

If you can describe your focussing screen and the lines scribed on it, we may have some more or better answers for you.

If it has horizontal AND vertical scribed lines, solid or dashed, the square made from the inside of the four lines will be your 6x6 area of film not the image area. Edge to edge would be 7x7. The orientation of a 6x7 back determines which 6x7 guide lines to follow for horizontal and vertical images on the film as cropped from the full 7x7 opening of the camera body.

If the screen is all squares scribed on it, disregard the squares around the perimeter of the screen for 6x6 image area. Each square is 1cm square.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-03-2009   #4
Dromedary

Thanks for info guys. I will check mine see what I have.

Dave do you mind if I cut and paste what you said here and send it to him.
Old 07-04-2009   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 300223

Sure. It is not registered at the copyright office... YET!
Old 07-05-2009   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First

You can order the 6x6 mask from Mamiya. If the are not in stock just find some old Gepe slide mounts and place one on the ground glass. The plastic ones fit well under the hood or the prism.

Also- Some color labs that still do analog printing have mask cards for mounting negatives for machine printing- I cut them down, spray them black and drop them in- centering is easy.

Ed
Old 07-05-2009   #7
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post
You can order the 6x6 mask from Mamiya. If the are not in stock just find some old Gepe slide mounts and place one on the ground glass. The plastic ones fit well under the hood or the prism.

Also- Some color labs that still do analog printing have mask cards for mounting negatives for machine printing- I cut them down, spray them black and drop them in- centering is easy.

Ed
Thank you Sir.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: