A large Medium Format camera question
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 415
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default A large Medium Format camera question

I have a Bronica Zanza with a couple of lenses sitting in a case in my store room, but I know *nothing* about them, like where to find film, how to use/ maintain, etc.. There looks like some abrasions on the mirror (and a lot of dust), will that affect performance, and if so would it be worth getting repaired in order to use? This is a medium format camera, right?

Any help would be appreciated, especially from Bronica owners/users. Thanks!

Joey

Old 06-04-2009   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 236397
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: A large Medium Format camera question

Look on the body or literature if available and determine which body series you have.The GS is a 6x7,the SQ is a 6x6 and the ETR is a 645 series.One of the things this effects is the # of expo-
sures you get per roll.These were/are professional cameras and film is still readily availabe from professional photo retailers online if you have no pro shop locally.If the mirror ab-
rasions are minimal,then the effect will be minimal to no loss of contrast when looking through the viewfinder-critical to focusing.One thing I don't like about Bronica's are the already dim viewfinders.Aside from this,they are great cameras.If abrasions don't effect your focusing ability,then your negative won't be effected because the mirror will flip out of the way on exposure.If repair is necessary,price will be the determining factor.I haven't needed this done,personally,so don't have an idea of price.They are very capable cameras which should weigh heavily on any future decisions.It is Medium Format.
Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #3
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
Look on the body or literature if available and determine which body series you have.The GS is a 6x7,the SQ is a 6x6 and the ETR is a 645 series.One of the things this effects is the # of expo-
sures you get per roll.These were/are professional cameras and film is still readily availabe from professional photo retailers online if you have no pro shop locally.If the mirror ab-
rasions are minimal,then the effect will be minimal to no loss of contrast when looking through the viewfinder-critical to focusing.One thing I don't like about Bronica's are the already dim viewfinders.Aside from this,they are great cameras.If abrasions don't effect your focusing ability,then your negative won't be effected because the mirror will flip out of the way on exposure.If repair is necessary,price will be the determining factor.I haven't needed this done,personally,so don't have an idea of price.They are very capable cameras which should weigh heavily on any future decisions.It is Medium Format.
I wasn't able to locate the series on the body, but "6x6" appears on the clasp that covers the film door. Is it safe to assume that it's a "SQ" series camera?

Our last local shop closed down earlier this year, so the internet it is. It has been 15 years since I have developed film, and I'm not really eager to start again, so where might I send it for processing?

The scratching on the mirror is towards the edge so I don't think that will be a problem. Is it possible to use a brush to clean in there, or just canned air. It's really dirty. Maybe that's part of why the view is SO dim in this one. It's odd looking through a top down viewer for someone that has never used a medium format camera before. It might be some fun to play with.

Thank you so much for the info/ help. Look forward to more questions, if that's ok?

Joey
Snap It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #4
Bactrian

More questions? Of course.No problem.
First,gently clean the top of the mirror w/the brush.
Then,take the brush and clean only front,open areas where you won't cause damage to critical parts of the camera.Take a hand compressed blower,not compressed air,and blow the rest clean.Do this w/the body facing down at eye level.
Is the lens attached to the camera or separated?
Old 06-04-2009   #5
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
More questions? Of course.No problem.
First,gently clean the top of the mirror w/the brush.
Then,take the brush and clean only front,open areas where you won't cause damage to critical parts of the camera.Take a hand compressed blower,not compressed air,and blow the rest clean.Do this w/the body facing down at eye level.
Is the lens attached to the camera or separated?

It is attached, but when I look through the viewfinder, I can see all sorts of junk in there. I believe the camera is the s2, as I went on e-bay and found a couple that look just like it. I'm wondering what vintage this is, 60's maybe?
Snap It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #6
Bactrian

For the moment,it might be best for you to do a Google search and see what pro labs are closest to you.This way you can compare prices.The labs I've dealt w/are either pricey or require a business license to open an acct.Let me know what you come up with.
Old 06-04-2009   #7
Bactrian

I'm wondering what vintage this is, 60's maybe?[quote]-Snap It

The earliest year I've seen on the S2 is 1961.
Here's a site that might be helpful: Bronica Cameras with Photo Samples
Old 06-05-2009   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 5692
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap It View Post
Our last local shop closed down earlier this year, so the internet it is. It has been 15 years since I have developed film, and I'm not really eager to start again, so where might I send it for processing?

Joey
Check with local wedding photographers to see where they have (or had) their film processed, if there is not a professional lab in your town, you should be able to send the film to Richmond or another nearby major town that will have one. Nearly every pro-lab will be able to help you, quite affordably....here in Denver Processing/prints and a CD of web quality (.jpg) images costs about $18 for a roll of 120 shot in my ETRS (645 format, 15 exposures on the roll) Shooting 6x6, you will have just 10 exposures, so it should be a bit cheaper...of course, not every lab provides tha same services for the same price...(some even allow their printers to bring their dogs into work and into the darkroom....*facepalm*)

If you cannot find anywhere else to go...

Film is available through B&H photo in NYC....
My lab in Denver is called Reed photo imaging....
Both are easy to look up with a google search...though I am sure you can find such resources closer...it's not like film is dead...just dying...

As far as your dust/scratches go....a can of compressed air can do wonders...and I've always found camera repairs to be incredibly affordable....if you can find a camera repair shop....again..there is one in Denver...lol. Actually your closest bet for repairs is probably KEH in Atlanta...they have a full service repair department and have always had fair prices.
[Mamiya RB67][50mm f/4.5][90mm f/3.8][140mm f/4.5 Macro][Ext. Tube #2][150mm SF-C f/4][250mm f/4.5]
[Minolta X-700][16mm f/2.8 Fisheye][50mm f/1.4]

flickr
Vedauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 300223

If it has Zenza on it, it is definitely an older series model like the S2 or a Model C , etc. If it has a interchangeable back, it may likely be S2 or S2A. Indicator of such is the chrome trim and gray leatherette panels on the body. Possibly a 75mm Nikkor lens, too. It could also be one of the EC models (EC or EC-TL), or Model S, or D. I know for sure the Model C did not have interchangeable backs. The S2A I am sure did. As for the rest, I don't know. I have heard of a rare Model Z. If you can ID it, here's a link to estimate it's age.

Bronica Cameras with Photo Samples

One quick correction, probably a typo, but 120 gives 12 exposures in 6X6 format, not 10. That would be 6X7 format.

DAVE PROUTY is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: