Is the Kiev-60 SLR good?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009   #1
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 3200
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Is the Kiev-60 SLR good?

I am thinking of trying medium format

I see there is a 120 roll film (6x6) SLR camera with lens for about $200, the Kiev-60

Is it good? Is there something for similar price that is better?

I am a big fan of TTL metering and that camera looks like a regular SLR rather than a strange box camera

I want to see what all this medium format fuss is about

Is 120 roll film any good or should I sniff around elsewhere?

Cheers,
Craig

edit :

Well using the power of Google I was able to find out some more info about this medium format SLR with TTL metering.

Apparently =

Like most Russian cameras there is no guarantee of quality control from the factory, and it is comparatively inexpensive, and it is heavy like a brick. You can buy one and do all the "finishing work" / "upgrading" as a DIY project by following this website

Or you can buy a Kiev-60 which has already been upgraded and (hopefully) tuned up, click

See one here

spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #2
Former Camel

Default Re: Is the Kiev-60 SLR good?

Well I've been offered this one for $160 shipped, via private sale

(click)

I'm considering it... It's complete with an 80/2.8 lens and everything. Being an f/2.8 lens it could be used indoors as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kiev60_with_80mm_2.8_lens.jpg (99.4 KB, 242 views)
Old 06-02-2009   #3
Former Camel

Well good news and bad news. The good news is I found lots of really shining reviews for this camera (click)

The bad news is, I called my local department store (Wal-Mart in Auburn) and the clerk I spoke with thinks that it costs $15 to get a roll of "120 roll film" developed and takes 3 weeks, if that's true, it would suX

I wonder what medium format film is affordable to shoot and get developed?
Old 06-02-2009   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 456

Желаю Вам удачи
Tandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #5
Former Camel

"I wish you good luck"

Thanks comrade

Well I bought it, we'll wait and see what arrives from Ukraine!

I buy and sell stuff just to try out all the time, prices on eBay are pretty consistent and I never lose much money (if any) trying something out and then re-selling it.

This will allow me to see what this medium format fuss is all about

Cheers,
Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DX_and_120.jpg (27.8 KB, 236 views)
Old 06-02-2009   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 456

ochen xadasho....te govoresh pa russki?
Tandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #7
Former Camel

Yikes, I can't translate that one... I use Google translate and only speak English.

But I can guess it's context sensitive My response :

I am not Russian, I'm French. I've not been to Russia. I have owned Russian rifles SKS and Mosin Nagant. I am fond of Russian women, Spetsnaz, and especially Dragunov! I've owned Russian lenses but this will be my first Russian camera.

I think it will be interesting ... but since I've only used Japanese designed cameras before I probably should have bought the Mamiya for $100 more I hope it's not too much of a culture shock.

We'll see how it goes.

According to my Google investigation, I bought my Kiev 60 from a good dealer who upgrades them before selling - Mikhail Fourman aka Mike Furman aka Mike Fourman.

I had a lens made at the same factory, the "Photosniper" - I hope this Kiev 60 kit is as robust and interesting The PhotoSniper was really cool.

Have fun!
Craig
Old 06-02-2009   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 5692
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by spystyle View Post
Well good news and bad news. The good news is I found lots of really shining reviews for this camera (click)

The bad news is, I called my local department store (Wal-Mart in Auburn) and the clerk I spoke with thinks that it costs $15 to get a roll of "120 roll film" developed and takes 3 weeks, if that's true, it would suX

I wonder what medium format film is affordable to shoot and get developed?
Don't take it to Wal-mart!!!! lol

I run all my 120 through a local pro-lab.....not much cheaper, but alot faster...anywhere from 2 hours for E-6 films to a couple of days for the slowest (cheapest) processing....not to mention the fact that a pro-lab knows how to handle larger films, they monitor their chemistry better and likely produce vastly superior
prints compared to the big blue stink-store....

The place I use even has a great deal for getting processing/prints AND a CD of web quality images (.jpg) for about $18 for a roll with 15 exposures (645 format), cheaper if you are shooting 6x6 (10 images) or 6x7 (7 images)....
[Mamiya RB67][50mm f/4.5][90mm f/3.8][140mm f/4.5 Macro][Ext. Tube #2][150mm SF-C f/4][250mm f/4.5]
[Minolta X-700][16mm f/2.8 Fisheye][50mm f/1.4]

flickr
Vedauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #9
Former Camel

Aha, OK I'll do that
Old 06-06-2009   #10
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 300223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedauwoo View Post
Don't take it to Wal-mart!!!! lol

I run all my 120 through a local pro-lab.....not much cheaper, but alot faster...anywhere from 2 hours for E-6 films to a couple of days for the slowest (cheapest) processing....not to mention the fact that a pro-lab knows how to handle larger films, they monitor their chemistry better and likely produce vastly superior
prints compared to the big blue stink-store....

The place I use even has a great deal for getting processing/prints AND a CD of web quality images (.jpg) for about $18 for a roll with 15 exposures (645 format), cheaper if you are shooting 6x6 (10 images) or 6x7 (7 images)....
I guess since this is a second instance of your saying 120 6x6 giving 10 images, it wasn't a typo in the other thread. 6x6 gives 12 exposures on a 120, and 6x7 gives 10. Just clearing up that little mistake for those who are unfamiliar with the format.

Interestingly, some 645 format cameras, can get 16 exposures to a 120. But 15 is the usual frame count as you said.

DAVE PROUTY is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: