Rz67 light leak??????????
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2009   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 15390
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Rz67 light leak??????????

Hey guys have a quick question. Got back another roll of Ilford HP5 and this is what all my pics look like except for the very last shot. The last shot does not have this light thing happening. Is my back screwed or have I done something wrong. This is the first roll put through the 120 6x7 back.Did not have this issue with my 6x6 back. I took some in landscape and rotated it to portrait also. Film was loaded and all pics were taken within an hr in my back yard. Again just playing with this beautiful beast.

Just sucks it takes close to a week for film turnaround and I got this. I just put another roll through that back also. Bummer.

If my back is leaking is there a way to check. When I get home tonight I will hit Google but just thought I would ask here first.

Thanks for any info
Shawn

Old 05-15-2009   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 5692
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Rz67 light leak??????????

looks like it might be leaking along one side...either the hinge or the clasp....looks like the fogging is happening just prior to the frame entering the exposure area...that would also explain why the 6x7 back does it and the 6x6 one does not...

To "check" the back, try this.....

Load it up with **colour** film (Chrome might be best) and then , in a dark room, use a flashlight and 4 different colour gels (or clear plastic in 4 different colours, etc) and use one colour on each edge of the back...and take notes of which you used from which angle....then, after processing, it sould be easy to figure it out...

You can also try a visual inspection for "gaps" along the edges or torn felt, etc....
[Mamiya RB67][50mm f/4.5][90mm f/3.8][140mm f/4.5 Macro][Ext. Tube #2][150mm SF-C f/4][250mm f/4.5]
[Minolta X-700][16mm f/2.8 Fisheye][50mm f/1.4]

flickr
Vedauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #3
SyCo

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedauwoo View Post
Load it up with **colour** film (Chrome might be best) and then , in a dark room, use a flashlight and 4 different colour gels (or clear plastic in 4 different colours, etc) and use one colour on each edge of the back...and take notes of which you used from which angle....then, after processing, it sould be easy to figure it out...
Genius!
Old 05-15-2009   #4
Dromedary

Quote:
looks like it might be leaking along one side...either the hinge or the clasp....looks like the fogging is happening just prior to the frame entering the exposure area...that would also explain why the 6x7 back does it and the 6x6 one does not...

To "check" the back, try this.....

You can also try a visual inspection for "gaps" along the edges or torn felt, etc....
Thank you very much

Oh wait I better ask about process. I will say how I think its done then when you guys stop laughing at me you can tell me how to do it right.

Darkroom, colored gels held securely to each side of the back where it meets the body, advance film to 1 ,set to bulb and then shine flashlight on each piece of gel. Maybe do this for a few frames.Then send it off to get developed and when it returns whatever color shows up should tell me what side its leaking on...

Am I close?

One last question. Why would it not do it on the last frame ?
Old 05-16-2009   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 5692

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKore View Post
Thank you very much

Oh wait I better ask about process. I will say how I think its done then when you guys stop laughing at me you can tell me how to do it right.

Darkroom, colored gels held securely to each side of the back where it meets the body, advance film to 1 ,set to bulb and then shine flashlight on each piece of gel. Maybe do this for a few frames.Then send it off to get developed and when it returns whatever color shows up should tell me what side its leaking on...

Am I close?

One last question. Why would it not do it on the last frame ?
I don't think you even have to worry about the "bulb" setting....you should be able to test it with it just sitting there....

For ease, I would just place the "gel" or other coloured material over the end of the flashlight...easier than taping it to the camera, just switch the colour for each different angle..that way you will know where the leak come from (or if it come in from multiple places....)
[Mamiya RB67][50mm f/4.5][90mm f/3.8][140mm f/4.5 Macro][Ext. Tube #2][150mm SF-C f/4][250mm f/4.5]
[Minolta X-700][16mm f/2.8 Fisheye][50mm f/1.4]

flickr
Vedauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 341

and if the back is busted, a replacement one wont cost you an arm and a leg
Old 05-16-2009   #7
Dromedary

Quote:
I don't think you even have to worry about the "bulb" setting....you should be able to test it with it just sitting there....

For ease, I would just place the "gel" or other coloured material over the end of the flashlight...easier than taping it to the camera, just switch the colour for each different angle..that way you will know where the leak come from (or if it come in from multiple places....)
Ahhh Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuBBaTheMan View Post
and if the back is busted, a replacement one wont cost you an arm and a leg
Looking on ebay for one now just in case this one is shot.
Old 07-06-2009   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

If the fog only occurs with that back then you have isolated the problem to that back so you can eliminate the causative problem as coming from the bellows.

The fog is on the right side of the frame and in one of the images it is a very stright line, To me this indicates a problem in the light trap where the dark slide is inserted into the back. Theses parts can dry up or come undone and cause this kind of fog. To test for this- load you camera but don't wind up to the first frame until you place a piece of black masking tape or electrical tape over the slot where the dark slide is inserted. Make some exposures and process the film- if the fog is gone or mostly gone it is the light trap as I have indicated. This is not a big repair and is very common in many MF cameras with interchangeable backs. You can do the same test on the hinge side of the back as well.

Before preforming the test make sure all the light baffles, the mirror and the shutter are operating smoothly and not hanging up.

Please let me know.

Ed

Ottawa, Canada
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: