New toy - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 341
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New toy

Not to mention start working out

I love my RZ and it's definately my medium format go-to camera. The lenses are mostly absolutely excellent for it and can be had very cheap if you dig around a bit and watch xbay and other sites.

The polaroid is actually quite useful on this camera (as a photograph in its self, not only as a light/exposure check) and scanned works quite well. The 645's which only expose a tiny part of the same area are pretty much useless for anything but checks and you dont want to use such expensive film for that when a digital cam works well.

The grip is very good for lugging this around, but consider a monopod with a pistol-grip style head. Saw Rankin use that and it is a very quick and easy way to handle it with good stability.

And yes, you gotta love that clunk of the mirror. Thats the sound of a real camera goddarnit
Old 05-10-2009   #12
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 68
Editing OK?: Yes

Good find, i just love browsing for ols camera gear at the markets etc....
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #13
LA
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKore View Post
Any tips, tricks, websites for this beast of MF in general please feel free to pass them on. I`m in sponge mode right now. Hell I might have to learn the darkroom stuff and set one up. The week turn around in my negs is killing me.
Get a shutter release and use the mirror-up function. Anything slower than a 30th can have mirror shake. That mirror going up can loosen fillings in your teeth. Larry
LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #14
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 15390
Editing OK?: Ask first

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. Thanks for the link Pony, great site.
Old 05-24-2009   #15
Dromedary

Just added the 37mm fisheye to my collection.
Old 06-21-2009   #16
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighMark Adventures View Post
Any tips, tricks, websites for this beast of MF in general please feel free to pass them on. I`m in sponge mode right now. Hell I might have to learn the darkroom stuff and set one up. The week turn around in my negs is killing me.
You're putting together a very nice system. No digital cameras can hold a candlepower to a good old fashioned 6x7cm piece of film.

TIP: Shoot slide film and have it processed by a reputable (CONSISTENT) lab. Slides "tell all tails" and "the truth and nothing but the truth". With slides you see everything YOU did right and wrong because there are no "corrections" by the processor. Great way to learn, IMHO.
Mike1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #17
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
You're putting together a very nice system. No digital cameras can hold a candlepower to a good old fashioned 6x7cm piece of film.

TIP: Shoot slide film and have it processed by a reputable (CONSISTENT) lab. Slides "tell all tails" and "the truth and nothing but the truth". With slides you see everything YOU did right and wrong because there are no "corrections" by the processor. Great way to learn, IMHO.
Thanks for tip. I will try that. It will be another first
Old 07-05-2009   #18
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

The instant film for your RZ is still made by Fugi- check with your dealer.

Mamiya 67 SLRs are great studio cameras and can even be adapted for digital work, The RB are built like brick outhouses- we have one running hear for 35 years. The RZs, especially the earlier models had some pitfalls. The issues were in the rotating back, the Horizontal/Vertical lever on the upper right side of the body and the film transport. If you go gently on theses functions you should not have any trouble but if you go to fast and a bit rough things will break down rather quickly.

Stay away from the accessory motor drive on the older cameras- those things have enough torque to drill holes in the wall and if there are slight mis-alignments it will shred some of the gears in the camera. Again, atop a tripod in a studio setting there should be no problems.

Unlike the RBs the RZs have kind of a suicide problem. On location the get very klutz like- if the tip over they can kill them self with their own weight. The center of gravity is not like that of a Hasselblad- so I keep mine in the studio. The newer model as a bit improved in most of theses issues.

The lenses are great- if you can find a 150mm SF (soft Focus) that lens can work magic. I love the rotating back and screen indicators for the purpose for making perfect compositions in seconds without turning the camera on it's side which would make it impossible to use.

Great find- Good luck. I make 30x40 and 40x60- prints from Kodak Portra 160NC Negatives with fine results. The attached images was digitized from the negatives made into a 30x40. The 180mm lens was used for the man and the 90mm for the group. The head shot is done with the 1500SF.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family Group 1 Revised.jpg (119.0 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg portrait of mr, atta Revised.jpg (33.2 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Spots.jpg (59.0 KB, 201 views)
Old 07-05-2009   #19
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post
The instant film for your RZ is still made by Fugi- check with your dealer.

Mamiya 67 SLRs are great studio cameras and can even be adapted for digital work, The RB are built like brick outhouses- we have one running hear for 35 years. The RZs, especially the earlier models had some pitfalls. The issues were in the rotating back, the Horizontal/Vertical lever on the upper right side of the body and the film transport. If you go gently on theses functions you should not have any trouble but if you go to fast and a bit rough things will break down rather quickly.

Stay away from the accessory motor drive on the older cameras- those things have enough torque to drill holes in the wall and if there are slight mis-alignments it will shred some of the gears in the camera. Again, atop a tripod in a studio setting there should be no problems.

Unlike the RBs the RZs have kind of a suicide problem. On location the get very klutz like- if the tip over they can kill them self with their own weight. The center of gravity is not like that of a Hasselblad- so I keep mine in the studio. The newer model as a bit improved in most of theses issues.

The lenses are great- if you can find a 150mm SF (soft Focus) that lens can work magic. I love the rotating back and screen indicators for the purpose for making perfect compositions in seconds without turning the camera on it's side which would make it impossible to use.

Great find- Good luck. I make 30x40 and 40x60- prints from Kodak Portra 160NC Negatives with fine results. The attached images was digitized from the negatives made into a 30x40. The 180mm lens was used for the man and the 90mm for the group. The head shot is done with the 1500SF.

Ed
Thanks again for your advice. I`m real careful with that puppy. No falling over ...YET...
I must say I like the look of the soft focus lens. And the woman in that shot, simply beautiful she is. Nice image.
Old 07-05-2009   #20
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 23358

Ed, on the womans portrait, is there a scratch running down the negative? Oh, other that that a very nice portrait of a lovely woman. I have been playing around with the canon 135 SF on a 35mm camera, but need to work with it some more.
Steve

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: