Bronica SQ-A
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 15390
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Bronica SQ-A

Did a search and not much came up (3 threads). I`ve been having urges to try my hand with MF. I`ll be honest and know very little about it(right now) but I`m the kind of guy once fixated on something I study do my homework till I do.

Reason I`m asking is because on the local craigslist there are some good prices on kits. I see the pentax 645 or the mamiya 645 all the time and this Bronica SQ-A from time to time. I like to be different so I think the 6x6 thing has me hooked. Anybody have any input on this camera over one of the others?

Not looking to use this daily, just want to play around with b/w landscape to start and possibly a self portrait here and there. Just more interested in trying it out because the price is right.

Thanks

Old 03-12-2009   #2
LA
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 356
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Bronica SQ-A

I`ve owned Mamiya and Bronica. That SQ-A is a sweet camera. I really enjoyed mine. SQ is the way to go,it`s faster(no turning camera) and much more versatile. Do not get the Bronica GS, had nothing but trouble with that one. I miss SQ format, learning 35mm format was the hardest thing when I went digital. May I ask what the Bronica SQ-A is going for? Larry
LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 15390
Editing OK?: Ask first

Thanks for reply. This one is going for 800 cdn. I see some better deals on ebay but after duties,taxes etc and not being able to get hands on I`m ok paying a bit more.

"SQ-A Bronica medium format body, prism view finder with light meter, 220 back & film insert, 80mm lens, and polaroid back. Also comes with all manuals and close up filters all in metal carrying case. Mint Condition. $800

If I go take a look at this camera anything I should particularly pay attention too?
Old 03-13-2009   #4
LA
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 356

Look through the lense with a bright light, check for any metal fillings(shutter wear) and other flaws. Run a roll through checking all shutter speeds and fstops and check spacing between frames,I would process only and uncut.Check battery compartment for corrosion.
I cannot remember how to fire it without film insert,but the owner should. With a flash connected aimed towards lense looking through the camera where film insert would be run through all shutter speeds and fstops to check synch and proper shutter openings.
With film loaded turn camera all around in bright sunlight to check for light leaks on film back.
2 quirks on this camera-always keep good batteries in. Battery indicator sucks. Camera defaults to a 500th when batteries go. Supposedly you have to change to 500th to keep shooting but, I had it change with no warning once on an outdoor shoot.
This camera does not wind 220 film real tight. Never change in bright light. Suggest getting a 120 film insert. 220 is the worst for light leaks anyway. Good Luck

Larry
LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 300223

Definitely get a 120 insert or two to use. 220 is a light streak problem waiting to happen with any camera system. I loved shooting 220 for wedding work, for obvious reasons, but 120 was certainly more reliable for a clean roll of film. If you use the 220 insert, make sure the spring metal with teh roller on the takeup side and feed side is applying pressure. A gentle lift to these from time to time helps to limit the loose wrap of the film.

Bronica SQ-a is a great camera with very good optics. I have had razor sharp images from mine.

As a side note, if not already equipped, get a Beatty Intenscreen or a Brightscreen for it. Makes accurate focussing a DREAM! Even without the microprism collar style!

DAVE PROUTY is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: