Curious - opinion? - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006   #31
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Curious - opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt
Hard for me to believe that Kodak couldn't have been more competitive in the pro and prosumer digital arena. The company has all but given up making anything but point-and-shoot digitals, right?
Then again, Kodak's film camera offerings have mainly been point-and-shoot models for decades: Instamatics, cheap 35mm film cameras, APS. If Kodak has been making any film cameras for the past few decades that a pro photographer would be interested in, I haven't heard of them. To the best of my knowledge, Kodak hasn't been in the 35 mm SLR market since it stopped producing its Retina series.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #32
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Curious - opinion?

We would all like to think that photography is about the craft to everyone involved, but alas its about the profit and loss statements to the suits. It comes down to this and not a thing we can do about it.

Digital is cheaper to shoot for the pros.... easier to shoot for the average person... had immediate gratification that polaroid could only dream of.... that means film is less in demand (all kinds)... Paper for wet process is in less demand....There will be too much supply and too little demand to keep them all in business.....

Some manufacturers will fall by the wayside.... Most camera manufacturers I fear have already made it known they will be out of the film camera business.... The film and paper itself will most likely be produced in countries who print their labels in languages we can't understand (levity)....

What and how much at what price is a mystery to me, but it will be whatever the economics dictates.. that is for sure.... It's all profit and loss.

Consumer cameras were never meant to last a lifetime (kodak polaroid philiosphy) Now everyone has adopted it. When the camera bodies began to weigh less than a pair of socks, I knew it had come to pass... Soon it might be cheaper to lease than to buy a camera, since it will be pretty much a disposable item like cars are now.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: