Curious - opinion? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005   #21
Llama

CamelKarma: 116
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Curious - opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstorm

I'm with you here, but tell that to the purists who buy tube amps, etc and masters to listen to their LPs. Or are you one of those purists?
Actually, this is the same issue in reverse - nowadays, LPs are made carefully in small production lots with the awareness that they are targetting a very quality conscious small niche of the market. At the same time, CDs and DVDs are mass produced and quality control is often lacking. Often the actual quality of a carefully produced LP is better than a shoddily produced CD or DVD. So even if the potential quality of the newer digital technology is higher than the older analog LP, the LP might be alot closer to fulfilling the potential of the underlying technology than the CD is.

And I'm not one of these purists, but I am a pragmatist who has worked in the industry that produces the technology that goes into this audio gear. And one can certainly buy older used high-end analog gear for a pittance that far outperforms crappy mid-level consumer quality digital gear.

For example, I own an audio setup that has a used APT-Holman preamp, a Macintosh Amp, and a Luxman direct drive turntable with a Shure V15 Type V cartridge, that, together, cost me between $800-900 second hand. This stuff was all ultra high end analog gear when it was new ~20 years ago. This gear blows away any newer digital gear that can be bought for under $2000 in audio quality, and the build quality is in line with newer digital gear in the $20K+ price range.
dougjgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #22
Llama

CamelKarma: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjgreen
For example, I own an audio setup that has a used APT-Holman preamp, a Macintosh Amp, and a Luxman direct drive turntable with a Shure V15 Type V cartridge, that, together, cost me between $800-900 second hand.* This stuff was all ultra high end analog gear when it was new ~20 years ago.* *This gear blows away any newer digital gear that can be bought for under $2000 in audio quality, and the build quality is in line with newer digital gear in the $20K+ price range.
Nice! I need to find some room for my audio stuff. My stuff has been in storage ever since I moved to Mississippi three and a half years ago.
Old 03-19-2006   #23
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11

....im not being rude here but , like who friggin cares? Why dont you spend more time worrying about the future of your IMAGES instead of the future of your cameras...just a thought ..
justicehoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #24
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicehoward
....im not being rude here but , like who friggin cares? Why dont you spend more time worrying about the future of your IMAGES instead of the future of your cameras...just a thought ..
The archiving issues of digital images is discussed at length on other threads, Howard. This one is on another subject entirely.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #25
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 80

Quote:
As scoundrel said, it has been talked about elsewhere. There are many concerns involved in photography, not just one. Besides, some people can't afford to buy cameras often, so of course they should worry about the future of their camera, and you may not care, but many people do. For some people, having a digital has given them the feeling that their pictures will actually have a much better chance at long life. No negatives sticking together in a drawer somewhere or getting scratched because they fell out of their envelope (granted, that isn't taking great care of them, but it happens) and now they can easily back up their images and just print them out as they need them. Archival printing isn't horribly expensive either, especially when it pays for itself if you mostly only bother to print the ones you sell. For someone like me though, and many others, a camera is a HUGE expense and you truly don't want to buy one that will need replacing in a couple years since that means you'll be camerless before long with no chance of becoming a camera owner again without some serious sacrifices (ie., kids not going to the good school, kids not getting glasses, no food...things like that ).

Sara
Old 03-20-2006   #26
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

Quote:
I agree completely that priority belongs on the images, both making and preserving them. I don't think people spend a tremendous amount of time worrying about subjects like obsolescence... it is a good subject for an on line photography forum though. This is a place where we all meet to exchange ideas, learn new things and make some friends. This is a well where we come to quench our un-quenchable thirst for photography.

There was a saying in one of my old favorite books... "What does a climber do when they aren't climbing? They read and talk about climbing, that's what." That's what we're doing here, we're reading and talking about photography because, at the moment, we aren't photographing.

You're not being rude, your point is valid... you may want to keep using that disclaimer for a while though, until people learn that's just your particular voice and you mean no dis-respect.

Chip
Old 05-21-2006   #27
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I think MF and LF 5"x4" probably still has its place. But with film and processing costs. 22mp digital backs give the same grainless result as a 22mp scan from a 5"x4" ? A colleague of mine has just spent (clients money of course) 3,000 euro on film and processing just for one 2 week long job!

Some say digital has no soul, but with a bit of jiggery in CS2 we get the same result as from our Sinar.
Old 06-05-2006   #28
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 14

Speaking of film, Kodak is raising prices of film by about 3-17%. The company states that they have been absorbing unrelenting increases in the costs of raw materials used to manfacture film. I find that digital has had a huge impact on these costs.

Also a loss of some fine film cameras and companies that have gone out of business or dropped the continuance of making & production of these cameras which has hurt their bottom line. It seems as if it's "all aout the buck".

Amen
Ted Austin/prophotoimages<br /><br /><br />Canon 5D, 20D + Various lens, 10D(IR'D),&nbsp; Pentax NX 645 Medium Format, Wista 4x5, Calumet 4x5&nbsp; monorail + Various lens<br /><br /><br />&quot;A bad day in the studio is better that a good day in the classroom&quot;.
prophotoimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #29
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophotoimages
Speaking of film, Kodak is raising prices of film by about 3-17%. The company states that they have been absorbing unrelenting increases in the costs of raw materials used to manfacture film. I find that digital has had a huge impact on these costs.

Also a loss of some fine film cameras and companies that have gone out of business or dropped the continuance of making & production of these cameras which has hurt their bottom line. It seems as if it's "all aout the buck".

Amen
Hard for me to believe that Kodak couldn't have been more competitive in the pro and prosumer digital arena. The company has all but given up making anything but point-and-shoot digitals, right?
Old 06-05-2006   #30
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt
Hard for me to believe that Kodak couldn't have been more competitive in the pro and prosumer digital arena. The company has all but given up making anything but point-and-shoot digitals, right?
That's where all the revenue is. Nikon grossed something like 4-1/2 times as much on consumer cameras as they did on DSLRs and lenses last year. Who knows what Kodak is doing... they're still grasping for a piece of the digital market but nothing looks solid for them at all.
Chip

Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: