Extension/exposure guide for 4x5?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 5692
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Extension/exposure guide for 4x5?

Anyone know where I can d/l or buy one of those little rulers for measuring the extension of my 4x5 rail to compensate for exposure falloff?

The only tool I have is the little art work dealie that you line up with the grid...and it just ain't cutting it with this magnifying glass lens....lol

[Bronica ETRS][50mm f/2.8][75mm f/2.8]
[Mamiya RB67][50mm f/4.5][90mm f/3.8][140mm f/4.5 Macro][Ext. Tube #2][150mm SF-C f/4][250mm f/4.5]
[Minolta X-700][16mm f/2.8 Fisheye][50mm f/1.4]

flickr
Vedauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 3249515
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Extension/exposure guide for 4x5?

I thought that the graphlex cameras had a scale on the rail

COMMENTS, CRITIQUES ALWAYS WELCOME

IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE
verdesardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #3
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdesardog View Post
I thought that the graphlex cameras had a scale on the rail
Mine's an old Calumet (I think....has a red "C" insignia) rail style....so no guides for me.....I used to have a little ruler...but I cannot find it to save my life!

Now that I do this research...it appears some of it is dependand on the FL of the lens....considering mine is a bare magnifying glass, this might be tricky....lol

Thank Krishna for Trial and Error!
[Mamiya RB67][50mm f/4.5][90mm f/3.8][140mm f/4.5 Macro][Ext. Tube #2][150mm SF-C f/4][250mm f/4.5]

flickr
Old 12-24-2008   #4
Guanaco

Ok...just found this....does this math seem right...would it work?

"
You mean for bellows extension? It's easy -- no charts required.
Convert your lens's focal length in inches to fstops: for instance, a 210mm lens is 8", so think "f8". When focusing on something close, look at your bellows extension. Let's say, for example, 11" from the lensboard to the groundglass (I carry a small tape measure, but a guess is probably close enough). Convert that 11" measurement to "f11". The difference between f8, the focal length, and f11, the extension you need to use, is one f-stop. So, give one more stop of exposure to compensate for the longer bellows draw.
Similarly, 16" of extension would be "f16", warranting 2 stops more exposure. If you can get within a half stop you're fine, so there's no need to go crazy. It works with any lens where you convert the focal length to inches: a 120mm is 5 inches, a 150 6 inches, and so forth. If you want to do the math, the multiplier between full stops is the square root of 2, or about 1.4 (close enough): 8 times 1.4 is roughly 11, and so forth. Stick with fstops, it's simpler.
This is a simple, reliable and repeatable way to get it Close Enough For Photography."

flickr
Old 12-26-2008   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

That would be the way to figure bellows factor IF you knew the focal length of your lens.

To find the focal length of your lens, focus the camera on infinity and measure the distance from the film plane to the lens board (ideally the focal point of the lens but the lensboard is close enough). That measurement is the actual focal length of your lens.

No need to convert to inches if you're using, for example, a lens with a focal length of 210mm. Add a decimal point and think of that lens as f/21. If you do that and use mm for your focal length then use mm when you measure the bellows length. If you do convert your focal length from mm to inches then use inches to measure and compare the bellows lengths.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19298

Brooks, that will give you "approximately" the f.l. of the lens, it gives you the back focus. To get the actual f.l. make a mark where infintiy is in focus, then focus 1:1, the difference will be the focal length of the lens. Telephoto type lenses have far shorter back focus than a conventional lens, and some wide angle designs have significantly more back focus than the f.l.
epatsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1385
Editing OK?: Ask first

Check the internet for "Bellows Factor" information. There are several "do it your self" devices on line that you print out and put together your self. You place a circle or square in your composition, focus on it with your camera. With the little ruler
type scale you also downloaded, you measure the circle or square on the ground glass. The bellows factor can be read directly from the measurement.

www.salzgeber.at/disc/index.html
C Webb

Last edited by C Webb; 01-03-2009 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: to add an address
C Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

You can order those scales from Calumet or Zone V.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 15

Try the quick disk. It is the link posted by C Webb above.

QuickDisc Home Page

Last edited by SensorDust; 08-09-2010 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Already posted
SensorDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

Neat idea. I will try it.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: