Future of LF
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Future of LF

Seems that ~almost~ everyone has jumped on the digital bandwagon in one way or another but when it comes to LF most folks are still doing the film thing. IMO I think there is a number of reasons for this...

-Price is huge -- The cost of the camera alone is staggering, never mind the digital backs.
-B/C of what I said above I think alot of phographers are reluctant to invest and others are in 'denial' :-X

Curious as to how many LF users we have around here.

jwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Default Re: Future of LF

I shoot digital for commercial and fine art work, but I also picked up a Wista VX for a landscape series I'm beginning. I spent years avoiding LF, until the need for the quality it can provide became undeniable. I haven't been out with it much, but what little experience I do have has been very cool. I shoot Kodak color negative.

hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 37

Fortunately many LF lenses can be used to great effect on DSLRs so even if LF film cameras get consigned to the scrap-heap, at least their lenses can still find a worthwhile use.
I often use a lovely Taylor-Hobson 12" (304.8mm) f4 ex RAF aerial recconaisance lens on my SD10, a lens normally fitted to Vinten f95 large format cameras.
Its very sharp, in fact its the sharpest 300mm lens I have ever used!

Regards

Alf Beharie.
sigmasd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #4
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmasd10
Fortunately many LF lenses can be used to great effect on DSLRs so even if LF film cameras get consigned to the scrap-heap, at least their lenses can still find a worthwhile use.
I often use a lovely Taylor-Hobson 12" (304.8mm) f4 ex RAF aerial recconaisance lens on my SD10, a lens normally fitted to Vinten f95 large format cameras.

Regards

Alf Beharie.
I can assure you digital LF lenses will not fit on your SD10
Old 08-07-2005   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwind
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmasd10

Regards

Alf Beharie.
I can assure you digital LF lenses will not fit on your SD10
If they have the same mounting plates and a manually adjustable aperture ring they will fit.

Regards

Alf.
Old 08-07-2005   #6
Vicuna

..and how do you adjust focus?

Old 08-07-2005   #7
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwind
..and how do you adjust focus?

With a macro bellows or with a custom made focussing-mount adapter such as the one I made for my Taylor-Hobson 12" f4:

http://images3.fotopic.net/?iid=yb12...ze=1&nostamp=1

And here it is fitted to the lens:

http://sigmasd10.fotopic.net/p18526171.html

Regards

Alf.
Old 10-07-2005   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11

Well, I don't personally own a large format, but had the opportunity to use one in a college view camera class I took. I really loved working with that camera, ever so hard to haul as it was! I truly value the prints I created (black and white) and hope to have the chance to work with this type of cam again some day.
Old 10-07-2005   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 41

Well, nowadays, you can pick up a decent used 4x5 like a Toyo or Calumet for well under $200 on ebay, and then figure another $200-300 for film holders and a lens w/shutter.

I did that, and I'm just starting to play with it for some interesting perspective effects using the tilt and shift capabilities.
dougjgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 13

I've been using a large format Toyo 45A 4x5 for just under a year now. If the subject is suitable then I use it, shooting a mixture of B&W and colour E6. Even though there have been huge advances in digital photography, new LF kit still sells, and rarely is there any LF kit that doesn't sell on eBay unless its priced silly or it's a wreck. The internet has helped LF users swap info and arrange gatherings. Around 2 months back I met with 26 other LF users on the UK Northumberland coast, and around 30% were relative newcomers. LF has a small but very committed user base.

Steve

steveb is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: