Film dead ? not yet.... :D
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 9005
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Film dead ? not yet.... :D

There is alot of discussion about DSLR vs MF digital and more about that a 8MP will easily outresolve a good MF scan.
Well.....
We talked alot about that and I thought let's post a sample to show something about that 5MP statement.
Not a good photo but I only have shot one roll of film that I got back today and most was testing to get used to the camera.
Scanning was done with a relativly cheap V700 Epson scanner, when using a better scanner you can expect ALOT more detail and sharpness.
So just for fun to show what is possible with a cheap solution scanner and 6x7 slidefilm.
And remember we don't even talk about the different DOF, better glass, better dynamic range (for digital) etc.
Although I'm a big fan of my Leaf Aptus digital back I have to say that the 6x7 film scans have impressed me very much, taking into consideration that the V700 is one of the cheapest MF scanners.

Greetings,
Frank

Old 05-10-2008   #2
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Film dead ? not yet.... :D

And what is the cost for a full 240 meg scan please??
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 9005

10 minutes of my precious time.
The scans are done as mentioned on a relativly cheap V700 Epson scanner.
J.A.F. Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 341

and the V500-V700-V750 are really good scanners too for the price. They all scan up to 6400 DPI optical at 48bit colordepth which generates WAY to large files for me to handle

I got mine (V500) to use with my Mamiya 645 shooting film and first scan i did with it i tried with 4800 DPI with the Epson software (which apparently isn't as good as Silverfast which is delivered with V700/750) and was blown away with the quality. You can view the results in http://photocamel.com/forum/film-cam...y-piccies.html this thread btw. And yes, the highlights are a little blown but thats more due to photographer error than anything else

So i'm psyched to finally have a film-> digital workflow that works for me and doesn't bankrupt me.

Some day i hope to pick up a digital back though... since simplicity of digital IS nicer =)

Tools: Mamiya 645AFD w. Phase One P25, Canon EOS 5d mk II, Horseman LE 4x5, Mamiya RZ-67, Holga 120N, Polaroid 635CL, Brownie No.2, Pinhole cameras.
HuBBaTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: