PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Medium and Large Format (https://photocamel.com/forum/medium-large-format/)
-   -   Inherited some old toys, need help (https://photocamel.com/forum/medium-large-format/47096-inherited-some-old-toys-need-help.html)

harryd 04-06-2008 08:29 PM

Re: Inherited some old toys, need help

Thanks guys, I may have a problem with the Graflex I found the button to open it up but it still does not want to open. It acts like the button is not going all the way down. Time to find a local person that knows more about it. Thanks again for all the info, I really appreciate it.

cyclohexane 05-02-2008 12:57 PM

Ever get that Graflex open?

digitalzed 05-02-2008 02:25 PM

Man, even the case is sweet. Don't get that anymore when you buy any camera!

C Webb 05-03-2008 01:11 AM

The Graphlex is still an excellent piece of equipment and is becoming more and more popular with the "Large Format Boom"
that is going on today. 4x5 film is available from several sources and is easy to home process. Three years ago a pretty rough camera could be purchased for $50.00 or less. Todays ebay shows them going for $100 to a thousand dollars today. If it truly is a "Speed" it would make it more desirable since you could mount and use lesser expensive "Barrel" lens's. The focal plane shutter in the speed graphic becomes the shutter.

Don't give either of the cameras away as they do have a monitary
value. If there is a lens and shutter mounted on the graphic is even better. They no longer are manufacturing film holders so until some begins to make em the old ones are valuable.

Have fun,
C Webb

harryd 05-03-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclohexane (Post 422852)
Ever get that Graflex open?

Yes, thanks. I will try to take some shots of it this weekend.

harryd 05-03-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c_dwebb@msn.com (Post 423427)
The Graphlex is still an excellent piece of equipment and is becoming more and more popular with the "Large Format Boom"
that is going on today. 4x5 film is available from several sources and is easy to home process. Three years ago a pretty rough camera could be purchased for $50.00 or less. Todays ebay shows them going for $100 to a thousand dollars today. If it truly is a "Speed" it would make it more desirable since you could mount and use lesser expensive "Barrel" lens's. The focal plane shutter in the speed graphic becomes the shutter.

Don't give either of the cameras away as they do have a monitary
value. If there is a lens and shutter mounted on the graphic is even better. They no longer are manufacturing film holders so until some begins to make em the old ones are valuable.

Have fun,
C Webb

Because it was my great grandfathers it is priceless to me :). I will take some shots of it open and you guys can let me know more about it. Thanks for all your help.

cyclohexane 05-03-2008 11:34 AM

You should shoot with it. The first time I printed a 4x5 negative in the darkroom, I was blown away. 120 had a similar effect, but it wasn't as spectacular because I had already printed 4x5. Still, I made a print from 135 for kicks yesterday afternoon, and man that stuff sucks...

...at least, in comparison.

heartseye 05-03-2008 05:02 PM

Yashica started their TLR line with the Yashica A.....robust but really soft glass. The D was somewhat better but still soft even by the standards of the day. The Yashica-Mat line was the best they made, and it really was surpisingly good....

eric rose 05-04-2008 10:09 PM

check out Graflex.Org: Speed Graphics, Large Format Photography, and More

harryd 05-05-2008 08:00 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, I hope to get to shoot a few of the camera open tonight.