Which medium format film camera to get? - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009   #31
Llama

CamelKarma: 341
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Which medium format film camera to get?

Yepp. P65+ it is.

You can get a good Sinar F2 or Horseman dirt cheap these days. Back in the days they cost a lot, and now you can get one for $500 or less. I got two 4x5's right now, one Horseman L2 and a old Burke & James Orbit. You will spend the most of the money in really good lenses though. The actual camera body is like nothing, a front element for the lenses, a back element for the film, and some light-tight bellows inbetween. Thats about it. All the shutter & technical part goes into the front shutter anyway which is a part of the lens.

As for RZ vs RB the biggest difference is that if you are in a very humid, cold, dry/hot environment then the batteries and electronical equipment can become shall we say a bit unreliable. So if you have a mechanical camera then you can just ignore that and keep on shooting. This is why a lot of landscape photographers liked the RB since they can go out in the bush and not worry about if their batteries are charged or not. Same thing with large format cameras btw which usually have a purely mechanical shutter.
Old 12-08-2009   #32
Llama

CamelKarma: 104162

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuBBaTheMan View Post
Yepp. P65+ it is.

You can get a good Sinar F2 or Horseman dirt cheap these days. Back in the days they cost a lot, and now you can get one for $500 or less. I got two 4x5's right now, one Horseman L2 and a old Burke & James Orbit. You will spend the most of the money in really good lenses though. The actual camera body is like nothing, a front element for the lenses, a back element for the film, and some light-tight bellows inbetween. Thats about it. All the shutter & technical part goes into the front shutter anyway which is a part of the lens.

As for RZ vs RB the biggest difference is that if you are in a very humid, cold, dry/hot environment then the batteries and electronical equipment can become shall we say a bit unreliable. So if you have a mechanical camera then you can just ignore that and keep on shooting. This is why a lot of landscape photographers liked the RB since they can go out in the bush and not worry about if their batteries are charged or not. Same thing with large format cameras btw which usually have a purely mechanical shutter.
Ah ok, then i should get RB in this case
I will buy a used large format for something indoors [view camera], but for outdoors or landscape i will buy a new large format camera, i have some options and later i will decide what i will get.
Old 12-27-2009   #33
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 74
Editing OK?: Ask first

The easiest and greatest camera for beginner is Pentax 645N
The best 6x6 camera w/o any problems and easiest to use is Bronica SQ-Ai or B
The greatest 6x7 camera is Pentax 67II camera... just look at Ian Cameron's pictures =)

DVDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #34
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDM View Post
The easiest and greatest camera for beginner is Pentax 645N
The best 6x6 camera w/o any problems and easiest to use is Bronica SQ-Ai or B
The greatest 6x7 camera is Pentax 67II camera... just look at Ian Cameron's pictures =)

Should i change my RZ67II to Pentax 67II because of Ian Cameron's pictures? I was lucky to met him while i was in Scotland and he took me around there and i saw him shooting, but really i don't see much difference than what we shoot in digital, but if i will have a film medium format will it be different than his film MF? i think any 6x7 MF can do the same, i will try with my RZ67 ProII and see, also he is using Nikon Coolscan 9000 which is a great scanner, i have a friend here in my area told me who knows few labs to develop film, i saw some of his shots and they are amazing [all on 35mm]
Old 12-28-2009   #35
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
Should i change my RZ67II to Pentax 67II because of Ian Cameron's pictures? I was lucky to met him while i was in Scotland and he took me around there and i saw him shooting, but really i don't see much difference than what we shoot in digital, but if i will have a film medium format will it be different than his film MF? i think any 6x7 MF can do the same, i will try with my RZ67 ProII and see, also he is using Nikon Coolscan 9000 which is a great scanner, i have a friend here in my area told me who knows few labs to develop film, i saw some of his shots and they are amazing [all on 35mm]
It was just a example ! Because everybody can easily find Ian's pictures. Personally I like Pentax 67 picture and don't like pictures from Mamiya. And it was my personal opinion. I think you can get it.
Also I like Noritsu scans more than those from Nikon 9000 =) And it's also my opinion
Happy New Year !
Old 12-28-2009   #36
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDM View Post
It was just a example ! Because everybody can easily find Ian's pictures. Personally I like Pentax 67 picture and don't like pictures from Mamiya. And it was my personal opinion. I think you can get it.
Also I like Noritsu scans more than those from Nikon 9000 =) And it's also my opinion
Happy New Year !
Happy New Year!!!

Where i can find about Noritsu?
Old 12-28-2009   #37
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
Happy New Year!!!

Where i can find about Noritsu?
Thanks ! About Noritsu... dunno, it's in the lab where I do all my film job - processing and scanning. As soon as I know it's Noritsu 2091 but I will know it in 2-3 hours, going to scan right now =)
Regards !
Old 12-29-2009   #38
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 5692

First....what is with all the "TEXT REMOVED" from the OP's posts?

On topic.....I LOVE my Bronica ETRS.....it's a 645, and much easier to carry around than the Mamiya RB67....though I dearly love both....plus, now-a-days, the ETRS stuff is cheap as dirt....same with the RB for that matter....
[Mamiya RB67][50mm f/4.5][90mm f/3.8][140mm f/4.5 Macro][Ext. Tube #2][150mm SF-C f/4][250mm f/4.5]
[Minolta X-700][16mm f/2.8 Fisheye][50mm f/1.4]

flickr
Vedauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #39
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2299

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycatstudios View Post
How about Pentax 67? Have look and feel of Pentacon only better. Glass is not bad at all. Did it for me I have no idea if somebody is making adapters for Jena glass, but worth to look around. Amazing quality of Pentax 67 is stability on low shutter speeds, 1/30 hand held w/o camera shake! You will gain bigger negative as well.
For Pentacon you can look here:
Wyniki wyszukiwania - Aukcje internetowe Allegro
The biggest problem with the Pentax 67 was the shutter sync speed of 1/60th of a second. The rb has the shutter in the lens which means the sync speed is any shutter speed you want to use. The glass in the lenses are excellent and the RB is a work horse. If I remember correctly the Pentax doesn't have the ability to change to a different film back on the fly like the RB does. Over all the RB is an awesome camera. When you look through one you get such an awesome thrill that runs down through your toes. The fact that the image is reversed makes you spend a moment longer to insure you have the subject the way you want it before pushing the shutter. IMHO this time taken by the photographer gives them a better chance of getting a better image.

Go to my website www.ProRodeoPix.com to learn more about my 2012 Rodeo/Equine Clinic.
I always shoot on Double Automatic for the best results!!! Try it as it could save your shot!
You may not like what I have to say but I promise to always be truthful and honest in my critiques.

Suggestions and Comments are always welcomed.

Olympus C2000 Z
Rodeoshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: