Which medium format film camera to get? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008   #21
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Which medium format film camera to get?

For me, the solution would be simple. I would search until I found a medium format body in good working condition that would accept my great Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon, Biometar, and Sonnar lenses.
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #22
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 363

TEXT REMOVED
sean_buerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #23
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 23
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_buerger View Post
I haven't used film for a long time and then I went to Vietnam with my Nikon F2 and fell in love with it again. In the older days, I used a Pentacon Six 6 x 6 SLR. I still have those great Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon, Biometar and Sonnar lenses.

However my P6 is tired of life . Her shutter speeds are at least twice as long as they should be, the frame counter is dead and the dreaded film transport makes the frames overlap, if I don't use an ugly workaround. I don't want to deal with my P6 in this condition anymore.

I found an old Mamiya 645 in a shop somewhere here with a very reasonable price. It comes with a wide and normal lens.

My conundrum is the following: I consider it a sin to not use my Zeiss Jena glass, if using medium format. However I would believe that the Mamiya would be a reliable (if old) 6 x 4,5 camera?

The other option I see, is getting a tuned up Kiev 60 or 88. I found a website where they sell improved versions of both cameras. I've sent them a very long email, telling of my experience with the P6, asking them, whether the tuned up Kiev 60 would perform better and last a while. They haven't replied yet

I have about a month time before my next trip. It's going to Cambodia this time and I want to have high quality film pictures from there.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Sean.
I have KIEV 80 copy of Hasselblad with two film magazines and original leather bag, if you are interested let me know.
zvonkopetroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #24
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 223

How about Pentax 67? Have look and feel of Pentacon only better. Glass is not bad at all. Did it for me I have no idea if somebody is making adapters for Jena glass, but worth to look around. Amazing quality of Pentax 67 is stability on low shutter speeds, 1/30 hand held w/o camera shake! You will gain bigger negative as well.
For Pentacon you can look here:
Wyniki wyszukiwania - Aukcje internetowe Allegro
lazycatstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #25
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 363

TEXT REMOVED
sean_buerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #26
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

ebay 500 usd
porkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #27
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15

I come from the med. format field, have and use my RB 67 - couldn't be happier (yes, it is a bit heavy - but not like a 4x5). I also have (use) a 645.

Went to the 645 to get the larger film loads (16 v. 10exp), but there is a advantage to the RB67 - it's mechanical - my shutter always works and the lenses are great. With the 645 I always must make sure I have spare "good" batteries.

Chris
Old 12-07-2009   #28
Llama

CamelKarma: 104162

What about RZ67? or Hasselblad 500 series?
Old 12-08-2009   #29
Llama

CamelKarma: 341

The RZ is technically electronical, but it can be shot in RB mode which works without the electronical parts engaged (such as without battery). pretty much all the gizmos and gadgets for the RB can be used with the RZ aswell (viewfinder, lenses, etc)

But if you are happy with the RB (except for the weight it's no real use going to the RZ. the RB is a workhorse especially under conditions where you cant have anything electronic to depend on.

I love my RZ to bits (i used to have a RB about 20 years ago but alas sold it) and also love my 4x5, but i am looking to get a field camera (4x5 but portable for landscape and location work with 4x5.

The leap in quality from 4x5 to medium is about as large (if not larger) than from medium format to small format. But 4x5 digital is pretty much non-existant unless you shoot stitched which for the cost involved is kinda dumb compared to loading it up with film instead. You can shoot a truckload of film before you get close to the cost of a P60+
Old 12-08-2009   #30
Llama

CamelKarma: 104162

It is P65+, and i was looking for this digital back, but for now still i didn't use any film camera and still my 2 film cameras i mentioned above are not complete [need lenses, viewfinder,...etc] to start using them, also i am in search for a large format brand "New", so i want to get into film really very soon and see what i missed in film age, too bad it is late for me now when many film shooters moving to digital.

About RZ, i was thinking to get RB first and i know it is mechanical, but to be honest i really don't know what is the different between a mechanical camera and electronical one.

http://hamrani.deviantart.com/gallery/
Tareq is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: