Which medium format film camera to get? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 17041
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Which medium format film camera to get?

not to hijack but how much would you expect to pay for a Mamiya 645.. someone on craigslist wants nearly 1000 bucks for one.. but he has a bunch of darkroom equipment with it (which I don't want).

It keeps getting relisted.. so I find it tempting to make a counter offer but don't even know where to start if I were to??

Here's the listing if anyone else cares to take a peek: mamiya 645 camera outfit
*Hoping to recapture the joy of photography, whilst living in chaos ..* Gear List: Canon 5d Classic, Canon Rebel XSI, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens; Canon 50mm 1.8 STM lens; Canon 85 1.8 lens; Sigma 100-300mm f/4.5-6.7 DL lens, Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash, Panasonic DMC FZ200 Optical Zoom 35mm equiv. 24-600mm.
sonshine_rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #12
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 363
Editing OK?: Ask First

TEXT REMOVED
sean_buerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #13
Llama

CamelKarma: 341

I think their claim is that its as easy to use as a 35mm technically Not necessarily a better claim mind you :P

If you compare it to a RB67 for example, which is 100% manual, no automatics at all (in fact, no battery at all either and requires a light meter to calculate the exposure, then the 645 (with built in spot measuring and auto exposure is definately more close to a 35mm camera in handling. And if its the AF/AFD variant, then it even have autofocus! (that ! is a little sarcastic as i dont think too many relies on that autofocus in real life and its nowhere near the speed of an 35mm). The RB67 gave you nice biceps though

Having said all that though, a medium format IS more work than a 35mm. they were never ever intended to be easy, fast or to be used whenever mobility, speed and ease of use are requirements.

They are however without a shadow of a doubt producing a lot higher quality image than a 35mm does simply because of (among other things) the larger negative surface. If that quality is not an requirement, then MF is overkill.
Old 03-08-2008   #14
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first

So you decided against the Kiev 60 from Arax? Is it that much bigger than the Pentacon Six? Just curious because I've been toying with the idea of getting one. And you do have all that CZ Jena glass!

Bob
Latinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #15
Former Camel

TEXT REMOVED
Old 03-09-2008   #16
Former Camel

TEXT REMOVED
Old 03-09-2008   #17
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first

Thanks, Sean. That's very helpful. I hadn't really looked at the Pentacon Six before. You are right, it is an elegant looking camera. The Kiev definitely looks like a Soviet camera! All function and no style. I'll just keep playing with my other Commie camera, the Lubitel 166b.

Bob
Latinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #18
Former Camel

TEXT REMOVED
Old 03-20-2008   #19
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15

Long story - try to keep it short.

Shooting with a Hasse 500C, and it ripped off with the car. Insurance gave me $1,000 and I replaced my basic rig with a RB67.

Great camera, no problems (and the advantage of being mechanical - no failure from power), problem small exposure loads (10 exp./120 roll).

Added 645 with 16 exp. loads - no problems. Miss larger format (6x7) and revolving back., Not At All unhappy.
Old 03-20-2008   #20
Former Camel

TEXT REMOVED

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: