Dusted off and cleaned BUT what this
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 70
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Dusted off and cleaned BUT what this

Ok, this is my first thread here, and I am looking for some advise. I dragged out my Hasselblad 553 ELX today, gave the old girl a good cleaning. Loaded up some new batteries and some fresh film. Thought to myself I would go out and get back to basics and use some film for a day. So just to make sure everything was in good working order, and to be honest to see if I could still remember how to load a film (it's been awhile), but what I found was that after a few frames the back seemed like it wanted to jump of the body. Not good I thought, snaped of a few more frames same thing. So I stopped removed the film processed it, and everything was double exposed. I then fired the shutter without the back for a couple of frames and everything ran so smooth it was like new, went over the film back and everthing looked Ok, put the two back together shot some frames without film and again the problem came back after a few frames where fired. Like I said it has been a long time without use, so is there something I am missing or doing wrong??

Mcoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #2
Vicuna

Default Re: Dusted off and cleaned BUT what this

Got it sorted out, now. Thanks for reading anyway. Now just to get out and get some good shots. If anything is good/great I'll post up the results.
Old 02-12-2008   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: Ask first

Sounds as if you did something wrong. How about posting the problem so others can benefit?

Love to see some shots
Old 02-14-2008   #4
Vicuna

Having some to think about this, while I am waiting for a film delivery. But I put the problem down to loading 120 into a 220 back. Correct me if I am wrong but this does not work. I had a 120 back, but buggered if I can find it, so I have ordered another one of those as well, just hard to get in Australia these days. I would love to fit a digital back to the old girl, but thats an expense that I can not get past the wife, as I am not a working pro anymore. If anyone has any other ideas as to why the problem might be happening I would love to know, as I did not think that loading a 12exp vers a 24exp film would make any differance in a 24 back.
Old 02-23-2008   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 12368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcoyne View Post
I did not think that loading a 12exp vers a 24exp film would make any differance in a 24 back.
I think these things have a lot of sophisticated (but sensitive) mechanical interlinks. Hopefully you didn't bugger up a counter or anything.

I can think of a few ways in which there could be differences, mainly in the pressure plate, and in the frame counter & film advance. I know it's relatively easy to break some hassy parts (e.g. if you mount an extension tube & a lens in the wrong order, you can wind down an important spring in the body, which is like a $150 repair). Other than that I don't know much about hasselblad, but my guess is that something with the counter mechanism or a spring tension device somewhere has failed, either because the thickness of film & paper back is too much for the back, or because your film ran out before the counter reached 24 and something got buggered up because of that.

Sorry for the speculative reply, but I would think there woudl be differences in the backs that could cause this problem.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: