First time to this corner of the Camel... - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008   #11
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 185474
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: First time to this corner of the Camel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric rose View Post
I primarily shoot large format, 4"x5" with a Linhof Technica IV. Years ago I could never have afforded to buy this camera but these days the prices are way down. On both bodies and lenses. I have several roll film backs, 6x12 and 6x9, so I can take advantage of roll film as well.

there are more choices out there for LF film now than even 6 years ago. The quality of the image is second to none. No amount of digi/PS'ing will even come close to a large format print from the negative onto traditional wet darkroom materials. Even scanned LF negs will blow your mind when printed out on a good printer.

You can even scan say 6x7 negs and make digital negatives to say make an 11x14 contact print. Lots of possibilities.
Thank you for the info.
Thunder_o_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Don't write off Pentax - the 645 was highly regarded for a long time and there's also the 6x7 which is a large SLR laid out like a 35mm SLR
Oh man, how could I forget the Pentax cameras? They're another great option. Only trade-off is the lack of interchangeable backs.
Old 02-13-2008   #13
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: Ask first

Just realised I left Contax out of it...
Old 02-13-2008   #14
Camel Breath

...and the list grows... =)
Old 02-13-2008   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

The prices have come down a long way.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that most used medium and large format equipment was probably used by a professional and may have been used hard. While it was built for professional use, the "soft" parts such as foam on medium format and the bellows on large and some medium format can give problems.

I would guess you could get into a Mamiya 645 system at a fairly low cost and there is a lot of used equipment out there. The 645 can be hand held, but the 6x7 Mamiya RB and RZ are better left in the studio. My favorite is the Pentax 67 which is a clunky, quirky camera that was intended for field use. People seem to love them or hate them.

With any medium format system there are things you should look for and things you should avoid such as Pentax 6x7 without mirror lock up. I'd do some research on a system before spending much. Since the lenses are meant for professional use most of them are pretty good. There's some some that are not great (e.g., the fisheye for the Pentax 67) but there are few, if any, "consumer" or kit lenses like you get with DSLRs.

If you are a "tripod person" and like to go into a "contemplative mode" when photographing, then you might want to give it some serious thought.

BTW, the cheapest was to get into medium format might be a TLR. There's some good used ones out there.
Old 02-13-2008   #16
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemiller View Post
The prices have come down a long way.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that most used medium and large format equipment was probably used by a professional and may have been used hard. While it was built for professional use, the "soft" parts such as foam on medium format and the bellows on large and some medium format can give problems.

I would guess you could get into a Mamiya 645 system at a fairly low cost and there is a lot of used equipment out there. The 645 can be hand held, but the 6x7 Mamiya RB and RZ are better left in the studio. My favorite is the Pentax 67 which is a clunky, quirky camera that was intended for field use. People seem to love them or hate them.

With any medium format system there are things you should look for and things you should avoid such as Pentax 6x7 without mirror lock up. I'd do some research on a system before spending much. Since the lenses are meant for professional use most of them are pretty good. There's some some that are not great (e.g., the fisheye for the Pentax 67) but there are few, if any, "consumer" or kit lenses like you get with DSLRs.

If you are a "tripod person" and like to go into a "contemplative mode" when photographing, then you might want to give it some serious thought.

BTW, the cheapest was to get into medium format might be a TLR. There's some good used ones out there.
Thank you very much for your input. This brings to mind another question. Can any of the medium formats use 35mm format lenses?
Old 02-13-2008   #17
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 9005

No,
the sensor is much larger.
The other way arround is possible.
J.A.F. Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #18
Camel Breath

Quote:
Or film, for that matter. I don't think Thunderhawk's going digital anytime soon.
Old 02-13-2008   #19
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.F. Doorhof View Post
No,
The other way arround is possible.
Ok, just a thought. Thanks
Old 02-13-2008   #20
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
Or film, for that matter. I don't think Thunderhawk's going digital anytime soon.
You got that right

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: