Digital Back options (Current)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 5692
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Digital Back options (Current)

Can anyone give me a run-down on what is available in the way of digital backs for the Bronica ETRS and/or Mamiya RB67?

I've been doing Web searches, but alot of the info I am getting is from back in 2004 and such....what are the latest and/or most affordable options? Also, is it worth it? Or would a Canon 40D accomplish the same thing?

Old 12-08-2007   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 9005
Default Re: Digital Back options (Current)

Don't know for your camera but the following brands are open systems:

Phase one
Leaf
Sinar

And for the mamiya the new ZD digital back.
J.A.F. Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 332

The Leaf product data sheet says they support both your cameras. But I would send an e-mail to both Leaf and Mamiya for any specifics.

Here is the data sheet...

http://www.leaf-photography.com/imgs...f_aptus_ds.pdf

And personally I would not expect the same thing from a Canon 40d. Take a look at some of these...

http://photocamel.com/forum/medium-l...st-2007-a.html

And there are many discussions out there on the comparisons of medium format digital backs as compared to the 35mm digital format.
SecondFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #4
Guanaco

Ok..thanks....checked in with Leaf...waiting for a quote now, I guess...

Didn't B & H carry their back at one time? I cannot find them listed anywhere...for prices....are they still in the $10,000+ range...or is anything more affordable yet?
Vedauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #5
me2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12

What are you using MF for ? Portraits ? Landscapes ?

Personally, I'd rather shoot landscapes with a high quality DSLR and stitch them together than mess around with MF. There are some absolutely stunning stitched landscape examples floating around the web.

As far as portraits go, does one really need more than 12MP for a portrait ?

I'm dying to hear the MF crowd reply to these questions. I am going to learn something one way or another.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 341

There is more to MF than MP =) Dynamic range and optical quality through the lenses do play a large part into why the industry still keeps going for this over a DSLR. Mr. Doorhof can probably give you more detailed answer as he has done the switch himself quite recently and as far as i understand it, never looked back when it came to fashion and portrait photography.
Old 12-11-2007   #7
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 9005

MP count is the wrong way to approach the MF system.
Remember the increase in quality of the captured scene when you moved from a crop camera to a FF camera ? (if you did ).
Imaging a sensor not a little bit bigger but TWICE as big as the FF sensor, that's MF

With the MF system you get :
More dynamic range
More 3D look to the pictures due to a different FOV
Much more detail (lack of AA filter)
Better graduates (16 bits, although the new 14 bits cameras come close)
Better color rendition
Better control over DOF (Perfect for portraits)
REAL ISO50 and 25 (great for outdoor flash)

There are also disadvantages:
Slower to work with, no higher ISO (usable 200 and a reasonable 400)

For me (mainly models) the MF system just delivers a much better quality.
J.A.F. Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 341

See.. told you Frank could give a more detailed answer

And i just got me a Mamiya 645 PRO and picking up a AFD house next week. Woohoo! :P

(Going to shoot film and scan first though, and then rent a digital back when the clients wants to pay for it
Old 12-11-2007   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 30157

Greetings and a good question. I also have the Bronica ETRSI and the RB67setup and interested in a digital back. For the RB if you go here , Mamiya states for the ZD back should happen late 2007/early 2008. For the Bronnie, I have not found anything yet. My local photo shop here in German has Leaf backs for the RZ67 series for rent about 200 bucks a day.

Hi Frank, love your work!
photojazz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #10
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
What are you using MF for ? Portraits ? Landscapes ?

Personally, I'd rather shoot landscapes with a high quality DSLR and stitch them together than mess around with MF. There are some absolutely stunning stitched landscape examples floating around the web.

As far as portraits go, does one really need more than 12MP for a portrait ?

I'm dying to hear the MF crowd reply to these questions. I am going to learn something one way or another.
To be honest...for the main part, I simply like to focus.....sorry, but I do...it is a large part of "capturing the image" in my mind and one of my favorite parts about capturing an image.....after that, there is the great optics in an array of lenses and finders that I already have for these cameras.....then, the fact that these cameras were designed for interchangable backs...so it only makes sense to have a digital back for them....larger capture area...more data work work with to start...finally, the click of the shutter and slap of the mirror.....these are aspects of photography I am just not willing to give up...they are sort of the hallmarks of using a camera.

The 40D would be fine for assignment and quick work...but Med Format is still superior to digital (DSLRS).

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: