I did a stupid thing...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 30264
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I did a stupid thing...

Today an opportunity presented its self for me to pick up a Hasselblad 500C/M with a 50mm, 80mm, 150mm lenses a 12 back and a Polaroid back.

I decided to purchase this package so I could learn more about photography. I have really only used digital since picking up the hobby, and I thought this would be a great learning experience.

It soon became apparent that I have no Idea what I am doing with a Medium Format backward shooting camera. I tried using it today, and it took a little for me to focus and get the shot I think I wanted (won't know until I get my film back in a week no one processes it near me it has to be sent off) To really put me in the "I have no Idea what I am doing column" I tried using the Polaroid back to see if my settings were correct and I must have loaded it wrong because when I pulled the film out and there was goo all over the rollers and the image didn't come out.

So far I am learning..... patience!!

Old 11-29-2007   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 9005
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: I did a stupid thing...

It's a wonderful strange new world that analogue world

Without kidding.
This is how we used to work, not knowing exactly what you get.
Luckely I never worked in the studio with analogue untill recently, outside you can almost always trust your meter (in camera or handheld) in the studio it's always difficult when you are used to the high dynamic range of digital to adapt to analogue.

I have bought a back a few weeks ago and must say that especially with B&W Tmax/Illford I'm MORE than pleased with it.
With color I'm still looking for that magic, but with B&W I will probarbly shoot everything with film.

Remember to write down with each exposure what you did, so when it comes back you are not puzzled by why something went wrong or good
J.A.F. Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #3
Bactrian

Thanks for the encouraging advice JAF. I'll grab a notepad and put it in the bag. I am looking forward to this new world!
Dratom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #4
Bactrian

I did finally get the Polaroid loaded correctly. I just tried to load it wrong.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: