Holga with Color Flash?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Holga with Color Flash?

Hey Holga peoples...

Freestyle Photographic Supplies has a Holga 120 CFN Plastic Medium Format Camera with Built-in Color Flash for $42. But it is the "Color Flash" part that had me wondering.

Has anybody got one and used it?

What they have on their site about the flash is: The new Color Flash is a built in flash which contains a spinning color filter wheel. Choose from red, yellow, blue, standard white or a combination thereof. Use the flash day or night to manipulate your images with vibrant colors.

I think it would be interesting to see what the images look like when the flash is used...

Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Holga with Color Flash?

It's supposed to mimic a gelled flash, so in theory it is a good idea. I've avoided the flash Holgas for a couple of reasons. The batteries tended to fall out of the older flash Holgas (Pre-n series) and when I do want to use a flash, I strap my $300 Nikon SB-800 on top of my $30 Holga! I have bought all my Holgas from Randy Smith at Holgamods, and he only modifies the non-flash version.

I'd like to hear from someone who uses the flash version through. Maybe I'm missing out on something.

Bob
Latinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Yeah, but a $30 to $50 medium format camera, that is plastic, with batteries that could fall out is even neater, in some odd way.

Imagine producing images from all of that, and amaze your friends with them.

Priceless.

Really.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 132

I saw a thread on the flash unit on flikr a couple weeks ago... even though it's cheap. I was not impressed with the posted results.
J
jazzology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 64

the new Holgas have a different film mask inside (it comes with 2, one for 6x6, the other for 4.5x6). they hold the batteries in place now. people who have batteries rattling around in their Holga *most likely* took the plastic mask device out to get "better vinetteing". But yeah, you never know what the next surprise will be with a Holga. Part of the attraction.
Holga Buzz
Visit my Site - Infrared Photography Buzz
jerrykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

i have used it and can recommend it. it is especially good for multiple exposures like this one with two different flash colours

on flickr
jayavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 46125
Editing OK?: No

I'll echo what jayavant said. I've got one w/ the color wheel flash and it works great! I think the guide number of the flash is maybe 20, so it's not that powerful. You're not going to light arenas with it, but for what it does, it works well. I'd recommend it, particularly if you like the whole Holga/PlasticCam idea. They're fun to play with and definitely produce some good results. I just can't put my hands on any of the images I've shot with mine right now, though, or I'd post some to go w/ jayavant's. But, like was said above, for $40, can't hardly go wrong. The only problem I've ever found doesn't really relate to the camera. It's tough getting the film processed, unless you are in or within easy driving distance of a larger community. When I lived in Texas, I could get film processed at the local Walgreens turned CVS Pharmacy minilab (Yeah, I know!!?!). Around here, have to send it off and it takes anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to get anything back. Unless you're shooting black and white and processing yourself (but why have a color gelled flash, then?). Anyway, I'm just rambling, now.

Bottom line, get the camera if you want to play. I think you'll enjoy it.

Brosig

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: