Hey lurkers! Join up! - Page 5
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010   #41
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1016
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Hey lurkers! Join up!

Nice to see film users. Love the signs Epatsellas! thanks
Boise ID. USA
Lightdances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #42
Llama

CamelKarma: 341
Editing OK?: Ask First

Whoohoo. forgot to post my pictures with the Brownie. Here they are, fresh from 2010 (shot on newyears day =) Does feel a bit older if i may say so myself. It is kinda funny to have film from 2004 loaded into a camera from 1914 and it works perfectly.

And yes, the light leaks are from the film, no fake film borders added =)
Old 03-05-2010   #43
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

I have just come across this thread. The post about the Bush Pressman caught my attention because I had one. The Speed-Graphic and similar models, for many decades was not only the "badge" of the professional photographer but was indeed a workhorse, sturdy and reliable camera along with its many accessories.

Their wooden and later on Bakelite bodies were comparitively light weight for their size. I don't know what it was with me as a young upstart photographer, but for some reason, I carved heaver cameras- perhaps some testosterone macho thing- who knows? I aspired to a Linhoff but it was out of my price range at the time so I did the next bets thing and purchased a Bush Pressman- all metal construction, except the glass and the bellows.

To add insult to POTENTIAL injury in the form of a hernia, I put aside my wooden and plastic film holders and purchased a bunch of all metal ones by a company called ALKON. I also had Graphmatic film holders which didn't win any light-weight awards either. Add an ASCOR flash head and the thing had to weigh in a t 12 or 15 pounds, only surpassed by the Linhoff Press 23 which was probably lined with lead, what with the cold war and the A-Bomb looming! I got sharp negatives and over-developed forearms- like POPEYE! In 1959- I finally got my Linhoff 4x5! I still have it and use it as a field camera. It is built like a brick outhouse and still delivers sharp results. The 135mm Xenotar lens is still one of my favorites.

Ah- Nostalgia- Ed
Old 03-05-2010   #44
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

Until I got into the army, I was not that into GUNS. I did, however, admire equipment that looked like tanks and weapons. So here are the cameras that I described in my last post. If you have or get one of theses, remember no to drop it on your foot unless you like orthopedic surgery and long stays in the hospital.

Disclaimer- The Bush Pressman shown here is NOT named for Presidents Bush- any similarity is strictly coincidental- I don't eve know what that means!

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Linhoff.jpg (26.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Bush.jpg (18.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-17-2010   #45
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19459

Taken with a Bronica Rangefinder 645, 65mm lens, on Velvia 100F.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg konahawaii_mphelan.jpg (102.0 KB, 31 views)
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010   #46
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

This was actually the first shot taken with my Crown Graphic when I bought it way back in '95 or there about.

It was the house next door to where I was living at the time.

I was just looking about on the web, and it is sad to see what you can no longer get. I will especially miss Forte 200 which was a Super XX clone. I still have a box in the fridge, but I guess that is the last box of thick emulsion film left in the world (SIGH!). Of course Polaroid sheet film is gone, if you do not want to pay $200 for a box of outdated material. But, there is still a lot of stuff in production out there, even if it is not our old favorites. The fact is that much of the stuff I liked was hard or impossible to get, even before digital took over the world.

www.tomrit.com
tomrit is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: