Hey lurkers! Join up! - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008   #21
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Hey lurkers! Join up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
... One problem that pops to mind immediately: I should scan my film, shouldn't I, but with what, are there MF-scanners around, if so, they must be prohibitely expensive.
I use a Canon Canoscan i9900 flatbed scanner. It has a transparency adapter and a backlight in the lid. It will scan 35mm, 120/220, and 4x5. It was not expensive at all. I think I paid around $300 for it. It does a great job, especially with the larger film sizes.

Bob
Latinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #22
Dromedary

Nice work, Erie! I like those old car dealership signs. I've been meaning to do something similar. Route 66 ran through Tulsa, and we have a lot of old 1950s era relics like these.

Bob
Old 05-21-2008   #23
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19298
Editing OK?: Ask First

Bob,
I use a Umax Powerlook III, around $1400 new, about 10 years ago, you can buy them for less than $50 these days. I also have a Heidelberg Opal Ultra that I use for negs larger than 8x10.

erie
epatsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #24
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1942889

I've been lurking here on and off for a while. Here's a 4x5 shot from this past winter:

w7apd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #25
Dromedary

That's beautiful, W7! That is the kind of detail that makes large format worthwhile. Do you have anymore to share?

Bob
Old 05-27-2008   #26
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 20

bob
you've forced me to come from lurker status.
so now that im here in this thread, i've been thinking about getting a MF camera. i think i could benefit from it, although with printing and developing it will be expensive. but i think it will be well worth it.
im sure there are a few threads i can look at for camera recommendations. since im here, i've been looking at some ideas, like the Lubitel that you have and i cant seem to find anyplace here (new york city) that sells them. i really just need something basic, im not looking to spend alot of money on one. i think in the future i'll spring for something "better" but for now i just want any MF that will actually work and take decent photos.

i currently shoot digital (canon 30d) so this will be my first experince with MF.

ideas, comments, advice.......jump in anywhere.
i need to know where i can go to buy medium format in new york if anyone knows
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #27
Dromedary

Hey greygoose! I'm glad you de-lurked. The Lubitel's have been out of production since the 1980's, but you can pick them up off eBay very cheaply. They usually come from the Ukraine where they are still plentiful. I paid around $40 for mine.

In New York, you can always check out B&H (B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders)and Adorama (Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera). They both have used departments. Another good source is KEH out of Atlanta (KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More.).

If you want a better quality MF camera, but don't want to pay a ton, look for a Yashica Mat 124G. KEH has them listed under Miscellaneous Medium Format. You can usually find a decent one with working meter for around $300 or so. If I didn't have too many cameras as it is, I'd pick one up (I probably will anyway someday).

I develop and scan all my 120 film myself at home. It isn't difficult to do. Film is still worthwhile to shoot, and there's nothing like seeing those big negatives.

Bob
Old 05-27-2008   #28
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 20

ok bob.
i'll look into it.
i'll check out the other parts of the forum.
do i get a special wrist-band or something?
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #29
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
ok bob.

do i get a special wrist-band or something?
No wristband, but have some karma!

Bob
Old 10-17-2009   #30
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

Hi all,
Just found this site, didn't have time to lurk, just joined. New to posting, barely computer 1st grader, pardon my inglish. I use two RB67's. Rarely my 645af anymore.

Regards, Rodney (porkphoto)

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: