Medium Format vs the Canon 1Ds Mk II: A Comparison of Image "Quality"
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2005   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 18
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Medium Format vs the Canon 1Ds Mk II: A Comparison of Image "Quality"

I would like to know people's opinions on how the perceived image quality (perhaps a subjective concept, at least to a certain degree) of the Canon 1Ds mk II compares to that of medium format.

For instance, what do you consider to be the relative print sizes possible for (a) the Canon 1Ds mk II and (b) a MF camera using a fine-grained film, if we make the following assumptions: the viewer is looking at the print from 30 cm (1 ft) away; the prints are of similar/identical quality in terms of comparison of equal areas of the prints (eg. a 1 cm square crop from each of the prints) - in other words, the prints are of the same technical quality per centimetre or per inch. I mean, can a digital print get to the same size print from MF while maintaining the quality? Can digital surpass MF?

A couple of comments before we get started: I'm not trying to start a digital vs film war here; also, I know people keep saying that this or that digital camera can match MF quality, but I want to read about your opinions in terms of some kind of quantification (insofar as comparing apples & oranges can be quantified). In addition, I have no hidden opinion on this - I actually want to know what you guys think - as I have not really got into printing either digital or MF for myself as yet (but I want to get into it soon!). I've chosen the Canon 1Ds mk II as the comparison as it is a camera that I do not have, but which I would very much like to buy one day.

Neil<br />_________________________________________________ _______________________________<br />I now shoot mostly with a 5D &amp; 16-35 f/2.8L;<br />I also shoot with Olympus Zuiko OM lenses on a 10D, and a Canon G2 P&amp;S;<br />When I shoot film, I usually use an Olympus OM-1N, or a Hasselblad 500C + Carl Zeiss 80mm f/2.8
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079
Default Re: Medium Format vs the Canon 1Ds Mk II: A Comparison of Image "Quality"

What size print are you talking about? I have a 30 x 40 print taken with my 20D camera and I am sure I will get a really nice one from my 1D Mark II. For a 1Ds Mark II, I figure the quality would be even better. The only true way to find out which one is best would be to take a picture of a person or scene with a medium format camera and then the same with the 1Ds Mark II. Have both printed to the same size be it 30 x 40 or larger then compare them side by side. Have different people look at both prints without knowing which was shot with film and which with digital and see what type of results you get. I would be interested in knowing how the digital would fair against the film.
Old 07-22-2005   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Default Re: Medium Format vs the Canon 1Ds Mk II: A Comparison of Image "Quality"

Here's a link to an article by Alain Briot compapring 1DSMKII to 4x5* http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/1Ds-4x5.shtml
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #4
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbymorgan2
What size print are you talking about?
I guess any size print would do - then the question would be, What sized print would you get with the other camera if you enlarged it so as to give the same 'per inch' quality as the first print has?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Gray
Here's a link to an article by Alain Briot compapring 1DSMKII to 4x5 http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/1Ds-4x5.shtml
Thanks, I'll check that out!
Neil<br />_________________________________________________ _______________________________<br />I now shoot mostly with a 5D &amp; 16-35 f/2.8L;<br />I also shoot with Olympus Zuiko OM lenses on a 10D, and a Canon G2 P&amp;S;<br />When I shoot film, I usually use an Olympus OM-1N, or a Hasselblad 500C + Carl Zeiss 80mm f/2.8
Old 07-25-2005   #5
AndreNapier

CamelKarma:

The advantage of MF is not in size of an enlargement of the final output but in the superior drawing of its lenses. Canon 1ds MkII produces images that are equal or sharper than 22mp back but is limited by AA filter install over a sensor and by Canon lenses. Images are dull as compared to digital backs images. Anybody who ever shot female portrait with RZ67 and Mamiya lenses or male portrait with Zeiss glass knows the limitation of Canon glass. There is a reason for pross making a portraits with MF and shooting wildlife and sport with Nikon and Canon.
AndreNapier.com
Old 07-25-2005   #6
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNapier
The advantage of MF is not in size of an enlargement of the final output but in the superior drawing of its lenses.
I have read elsewhere (and I cannot remember where) that, in terms of resolution per millimetre, MF lenses are not as good as some 35mm-format lenses. I have no idea myself whether or not this is true, but the argument went that it is the size of the enlargement which puts MF ahead...
I have also heard about the AA filter reducing image 'quality' (in terms of resolution at least).

In any case, I would just love to get myself a digital back for my Hasselblad; I would also love to get myself a 1Ds mk II... but, unfortunately for me, both are beyond my finances

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Andre...

By the way, do you have a personal preference between the digital backs vs. the 1Ds mk II, based upon your experience??
Old 07-25-2005   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 80

being a MF digital back owner and user, there is a difference in the files and the quality.
I have my P25 attached to a Hassy H1. I use the H1 lenses.
The H1 @ 22MP from the P25 eats the 1Ds Mark II (I have this and the 1D mark II and a 20D)
I am seriously contemplating the P45 (for the hell of it)
Life is short and temporary, like money when it's anywhere me.
hehe
Rob

www.1ds.com
Old 07-25-2005   #8
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecter
Well, what a wonderful attitude to have!! A pity I can't afford to buy these things...
Old 07-25-2005   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Quote:
Well, what a wonderful attitude to have!! A pity I can't afford to buy these things...
remember it's "only" an upgrade.....

hehe

Old 07-25-2005   #10
Gee
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
hehe
Rob

www.1ds.com
The P45 just has too big a file for my liking. Doing all that processing will make your life even shorter. For the landscape guys and the folks shooting for large print size, OK. For me, I have to shoot hundreds of shots or more on a job the last thing I need is files this big. It's overkill. Like shooting 8 X 10 for a shot that will appear 4X5 in a magazine. Most of my images never get bigger than a double page spread. I'd be very happy with just 22 megapixels.* (who thought we'd be saying just 22 megapixels)

G

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: