Should I sell my 645
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2005   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Should I sell my 645

I have a Pentax 645 system that I have had since the late 80's. The entire system looks and works like new. For the last year or so I have not used it much. From time to time I think about selling it and using the proceeds to expand my lens system, but I wonder if I will regret it. Should I sell my 645?

DigitalPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079
Default Re: Should I sell my 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalPhotography
I have a Pentax 645 system that I have had since the late 80's. The entire system looks and works like new. For the last year or so I have not used it much. From time to time I think about selling it and using the proceeds to expand my lens system, but I wonder if I will regret it. Should I sell my 645?
I have the Mamiya 645 and though I do not use it anymore, I hold onto it just in case.
Old 07-22-2005   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 22

I sold my Mamiya 645AFD system about 6 months ago. The final straw for me was the 1DsII. I don't own one, but the only reason FOR ME to keep the 645 was when the pro backs were the only option for high pixel counts. While the pro backs are great for what they are designed for, they are overkill for my business. I dont' NEED anything more than what the 1DsII can do, so I sold off the old gear.

BTW, I kept the old Hassy 501cm 'cause it looks good on the shelf and that camera is where it all started for me. It wasn't worth selling my history for $400.

My thought is if you have gear that you don't use, and don't have gear that you WOULD use, get the gear that you need.

Good luck with the decision.
24-70 2.8 L
70-200 2.8 L IS
PhotoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalPhotography
IMHO keep it. Digital backs prices will go down (2nd hand market starts to be almost affordable).

Ciao!
Antonio
Old 07-24-2005   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 65

Before you decide to sell it, find out what you can get for it. If you can get enough to justify selling it, then sell it. If you decide you need a medium format camera in the future, you will probably be able to buy a better system with lenses and other gear cheaper from others that waited to long to sell their gear until it was worth even less.

Another option, if you can't sell it for what you think it's worth, is donate it for a tax write off. You might be able to get more that way then out right selling it... if you need a tax write off.

Keep in mind that though it looks in good shape, that if not used, it will start to deteriorate. Shutters will start to stick and slow down, glass could start to get film on them from the inside (or fungus depending on how humid it is around there) and other signs of non-use. You could always have them cleaned and checked once a year, but sometimes the cost of that is as much as the cameras if you have it done with a good tech.

I know how hard it is to part with equipment. I still have a Rebel G and EOS 3 film camera. The Rebel G I couldn't get enough to justify selling it and the EOS 3 I keep thinking I'd use for it's speed and fast AF. But now that I just upgraded to a 1DMKII I think it's time to sell the EOS 3.

Sell it if you can. That's my opinion.

Mike
Old 09-17-2005   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 14

You say the Canon 1Ds makes better quality prints than your MF, "after extensive testing"... Is that comparing straight prints from each or is it after extensive post processing to remove stray hairs, sharpen the eyes, etc. from the digi image versus a straight print off the negative? Now don't take me wrong, I'm not here to argue which is better but to understand... If it takes extensive post processing to paroduce an image that is superior in quality to a MF negative (or positive) how much time is that per image? And if you have a half dozen clients jobs in process simultaneously are there enough hours in the day?
The flip side question, is have you compared the quality of the 1Ds digi file to a MF negative scanned and given an equal amount of post processing?

denny
k8do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066

If you no longer need it--sell it.
If you need cash to finance some other purchase--sell it.
If it is likely to get lost, stolen, or damaged--sell it.
If it has sentimental value--keep it.
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 97
Editing OK?: Ask first

I sold my Mamiya 645afd with all the equipment; backs, lenses, etc. as I feared that if I held on to it any longer the price will continue to drop. I figure if I ever want to go back to MF I'll be able to buy the same equipment for a lot less. I purchased the D2X and with 12.4 mp its as big as I will ever need for commercial, fashion, sports, etc. You can make poster size prints from anything over about 8mp anyway and most of us don't print that big.

| David Bailey Photography | Digital Racing Images | Grafix USA |

I have a camera...
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 13

In my view you should sell and here is a reason you can probably undersand.....That maybe , Just maybe you can get someone as passionate and loving of his equipment and photography and give them the oppratunity to learn and grow through your sale....I have been contemplating getting into medium format systems but my budget is blown already...I had just built a darkroom in my apartment because of a class at the school I go to... I have gotten into developing and there's nothing like seeing your shot go from beginning to end in your hands.......Capturing moments, History has become a picturebook because of the love of the members in our field before us...and now it is someone elses turn to expand and experience and contribute to the historybook....Will you take that chance......I could use one of those chances.......My name is Joe and I call myself "PHOTOGRAPHER"
PhotoJoeMaelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11
Default Sell it if you're not using it

Prices are only going down. I still use my 645, but only occationally and for portraits (family stuff).* With all of the great digitals out there, and as much of a pain as it is to get 120 developed & printed (for me anyway) I may give it up too.* There are plenty of folks who will use it, so why not sell it to cover part of a vacation or something that you will use?* Some small advice though, sell a basic kit on ebay, and extra gear separately.* Whole packages really get priced down.

-Mark

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: