Filters - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2015   #11
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem View Post
A blue filter will do some rather bizarre and unflattering things to portraits. I won't
describe that. Just try it ! If you want "more masculine" male portraits, try a green
filter. A blue filter will also mimic early landscape appearance cuz it mimics the old
orthochromatic films. BTW, "Blue" doesn't mean a blue color correction filter, like
the Wratten 80 series. "Blue" means a deep blue black & white contrast filter, such
as the Wratten 47 series. "Wratten" is a good search term. Do it.
Yes, I was talking about filters for B&W film, not for color film. And, no, a blue filter (Yes, Wratten 47) does not give you an ORTHOCHMATIC look, it gives you a pre-orthochromatic (blue sensitive) look. That is assuming you are using PAN film, with Super-PAN films all filters have a lesser affect.

The blue filter also increases haze if there is any, turning a hazy day into a foggy one.
Old 01-15-2015   #12
ADB
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 163
Editing OK?: Ask First

Thanks to all for replys Filters are a big learning curve for me so at present will stick at my Red Yellow and Polarizer for my B/W landscape's This is a great site for asking questions. Thank you.
ADB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 683702
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
Yes, I was talking about filters for B&W film, not for color film. And, no, a blue filter (Yes, Wratten 47) does not give you an ORTHOCHMATIC look, it gives you a pre-orthochromatic (blue sensitive) look. That is assuming you are using PAN film, with Super-PAN films all filters have a lesser affect.

The blue filter also increases haze if there is any, turning a hazy day into a foggy one.
Yeah the hazy thing is cool at times. As to mimicking ortho, yes ortho film
also sees some green, but it's still red-blind, so the #47 gives the bald sky
and black rendition of red/reddish colors characteristic of both ortho and
of blue-only sensitive materials.

The red blindness is acoarst what renders the bizarre/unflattering effects
with portrait subjects, and that would happen [with no filter] when using
either ortho or just blue sensitive materials. If you got a more accurate
verb than "mimic", I'll happily go with it. But pictorially/aesthetically a #47
makes pix that look like they're shot with *pre-panchromatic" material.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: