Any Suggestions or Input?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Any Suggestions or Input?

I have an opportunity to acquire a Mamiya M645 with an 80mm f/2.8 and a 150mm lens. I do not know which 150 it is my bet would be the f/4 C version. Also included in the collection is the waist level finder and a prism finder. Again I do not know which of the prism finders, but the bet is non-metering. Wrapping up the list is a pistol grip and an "L" grip I do not believe either to be auto-winders. I've seen a couple of photos but they are not comprehensive views and I'm waiting on replies to the questions about the lens and the finder.

Aside from the obvious things regarding the operation, clean battery case, condition of the light-tight foam seals. Are there any things Mamiya specific to make parts of a kit like this more or less appealing? The model numbers are not nearly as easy for me to cypher as Nikon's. I'm not worried about financial loss on this thing. The seller is only asking $100 and for that little I could use it for shelf display. Though I do want to actually run film through it.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

If it was the 80 f/1.9 I'd say jump on it. Fabulous lens. Almost as nice as the legendary 80mm f/2.0 Planar for Contax 645, IMHO.

I'm not overly familiar with the f/2.8 version but I doubt it's terrible.

I know the M645 has a leaf shutter 80mm lens available too but I can't remember if it was f/2.8 or f/4. That alone would make the kit worth quite a bit more than the asking price.

Most of the rest of the lenses are focal plane only, IIRC. The real gems for the system are the 200mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/2.8 APO lenses; these hold up even on today's 60 MP digital backs, and I'd bet the 80 MP ones too.

The 120mm Macro is pretty nice too but I'm not sure how it compares to the 120mm Zeiss Makro Planars for Hassy and Contax.

Let me know if you do get it. I've got some expired film in the fridge you can have to take the thing for a whirl.
Old 09-05-2014   #3
Camel Breath

Default Re: Any Suggestions or Input?

Well I pulled the trigger on the deal. It's supposed to ship tomorrow so in a few days I'll at least get a good look see and determine just what I've purchased. Who could say no to film?

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 09-06-2014   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1232477
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven G Webb View Post
Well I pulled the trigger on the deal. It's supposed to ship tomorrow so in a few days I'll at least get a good look see and determine just what I've purchased. Who could say no to film?
Yea Steve !!! Nice to know that now there are at least two of us who shoot film. Enjoy and use it in the best of health ! I'm sure you'll love it from your first test drive.
Mark
Mark Feldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Also counting Mike (blumesan), Andrew (brosig), and myself, we're already at five confirmed film users.
Old 09-07-2014   #6
Camel Breath

Thanks Mark and Michael. You know I, like many of you, have purchased photographic gear on more than one occasion. I don't believe I've been this excited with anticipation in a long, long time. It'll be great to have a film camera in my hands again. Who knows maybe film will make some massive comeback.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 09-07-2014   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1232477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven G Webb View Post
Thanks Mark and Michael. You know I, like many of you, have purchased photographic gear on more than one occasion. I don't believe I've been this excited with anticipation in a long, long time. It'll be great to have a film camera in my hands again. Who knows maybe film will make some massive comeback.
I do. The ones I know of are wise purchases, all of them. While the numbers aren't exactly overwhelming yet, they're mounting. Someone get Kodak on line # 1 and ask them to refire up production of Plus-X 120. 5 film shooters. I'm almost speechless. (I said "almost" you guys). Be sure to let us know how you're enjoying. It's really a very nice piece of gear.

Steve (or anyone else for that matter) let me know if you want me to send or post some names of pro labs, including Ilford's pro level lab in San Clemente CA. Excellent work reasonable charges. Does the M645 use interchangable magazines? I can't recall. If so, don't forget to reinsert your dark slide before changing magazines. If not, just chalk it up to I'm getting too older to remember.

Later
Mark
Mark Feldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 758661

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
Also counting Mike (blumesan), Andrew (brosig), and myself, we're already at five confirmed film users.
One more.
Bob Ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014   #9
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 236397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
...... 5 film shooters. I'm almost speechless. (I said "almost" you guys). ........
There is a film subgroup called the Film Users Clan that has 23 remaining members.
Join up and lets bring that group some action. You can find it at: Photocamel Miscellany>Site related announcements>Sub groups>Film Users Clan.
Old 09-07-2014   #10
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
I do. The ones I know of are wise purchases, all of them. While the numbers aren't exactly overwhelming yet, they're mounting. Someone get Kodak on line # 1 and ask them to refire up production of Plus-X 120. 5 film shooters. I'm almost speechless. (I said "almost" you guys). Be sure to let us know how you're enjoying. It's really a very nice piece of gear.

Steve (or anyone else for that matter) let me know if you want me to send or post some names of pro labs, including Ilford's pro level lab in San Clemente CA. Excellent work reasonable charges. Does the M645 use interchangable magazines? I can't recall. If so, don't forget to reinsert your dark slide before changing magazines. If not, just chalk it up to I'm getting too older to remember.

Later
Mark
Thanks Mark. I may be looking for lab recommendations but I think I have some resources in the Dallas area for as long as I stay in Texas. Don't know what there will be a little further East when I move.

The M645 does not have interchangeable backs there is no provision for swapping film mid-roll outside of a darkroom. That will not be a problem, it's been a long time since I was limited to 15 or 30 shots at a time.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: