Any Suggestions or Input? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Any Suggestions or Input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
There is a film subgroup called the Film Users Clan that has 23 remaining members.
Join up and lets bring that group some action. You can find it at: Photocamel Miscellany>Site related announcements>Sub groups>Film Users Clan.
I'll look into that. It'd would be interesting to be in a film users group. I like groups that don't require twelve steps and a sponsor.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014   #12
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2193768
Editing OK?: Ask First

BWC still does C41 medium format, but no longer does E6 or B&W. I've enjoyed getting into doing my own B&W developing/scanning. If you decided to try mixxing your own soup look into Pyrocat HD in glycol, it has a really long shelf life and I've found it very forgiving.

You will enjoy the M645, I've owned a couple in the past and have one of my brother's outfits I still need to test shoot and put on ebay. But be aware that film can be a slippery slope, for every one of my brother's film cameras I've ebayed, I've ended up buying one!
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #13
Camel Breath

Thanks for the information about BWC. I won't be mixing any chemistry or building a darkroom anytime soon. The marriage is this coming weekend and we have a major project involving a house remodeling on the heels of a relocating adventure. I want to stay a health happily married man, so I'll just be pleased to have the caemra.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 09-16-2014   #14
Camel Breath

The camera arrived and it looks to be in good condition, good being the operative word. It's obviously an old, maybe vintage, piece of equipment. The shutter seems to be fine and the mirror slap sounds good. It was loaded with a roll of film and 7 frames were fired before it was shipped so I did not open the back. Sadly, but expectedly all the foam inside seems to be deteriorating. There are tell-tale bits of it's residue in the mirror box. Looks like it'll be making a trip to the shop to have the foam replaced and a cleaning. Any suggestions?

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 09-16-2014   #15
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1232477

Hey Steve ! Mazel Tov ! For seals, a good CLA (great actually) etc., I'd definitely send it to these guys: The guy you want to talk to is "Rim".

They bought out Marflex Camera repair and kept most of the same clientele, mostly professionals in the tri-state NY area but they also serve photographers from around the world. They used to be in the Flat Iron Building in NYC but recently moved around the corner, I think because they needed more space.

The work they do is excellent and the M645, I believe, is right up their alley. They did incredibly clean work on my Nikon F2s, including all new seals, mirror anti-slap foam, etc.. They also did my F-4s bodies, checked the oil and timed one of them while I was at the counter. <g>

You might also ask Rim if they have any used magazines available for it and ask him to cut you a package deal with those, any parts and a CLA. You might even trade them on the one you got with the camera. Nice guys too. They can give you a pretty accurate estimate over the phone or online. And if they refer you to someone to buy Mamiya equipment from, it's going to be a reputable outfit with quality used gear. Check em' out !

BTW, going to take it for a test drive before you send it in?
M.

Nippon Photo Clinic Repair Service
https://plus.google.com/112163996624763419229/about?gl=us&hl=en

37 W 39th St #401 New York, NY 10018‎

New York NY 10010 USA (Until Tuesday, June 3, 2014)
T: 212-982-3177 F: 212-982-1715 E: nipponphotoclinic@hotmail.com
Business Hours: Monday to Friday 9:30am to 5:30pm.
Saturdays and Sundays CLOSED

Mark Feldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014   #16
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Steve, congratulations on the upcoming wedding! How about a honeymoon down in Florida with a visit at my studio?! You're always welcome!

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014   #17
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

Hey Steve! That camera is really a workhorse model- they are really hard to kill and relatively easy to repair. There is a soft focus prime lens specifically designed for that camera body. That lens is so good that it pays to have a body that it fits on. You could probably find on at a low price. The results beat out my 150mm SF lens on my digitized RZ and some of my Imagon collection! That lens and Fuji film are a great combination!

Yes! Mazel-Tov! Your wedding- WOW! All the very best that life has to offer for both of you!

Ed
Old 10-30-2014   #18
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199622943

Congratulations Steve. I'm looking forward to seeing some shots from your new (to you) camera.
Old 10-31-2014   #19
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

For those who are curious, the soft focus lens mentioned by Ed is the 145mm f/4.

I took a quick look online, and the thing only costs mere pennies compared to what this stuff used to go for, so if anyone is interested, now is probably the time to get one.

But don't buy them all so I can have one.

cyclohexane is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: