3 different Yashica Mat lenses
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1941137
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 3 different Yashica Mat lenses

I just bought an old Yashica MAt TLR. The camera works great, but the lens has me questioning quality. This camera comes in 3 different lens designs over it's production period- the Yashicor, Yashinon & the Lumaxer. It's this last lens that I've never heard of & was wondering if any of you are familiar with it's ability. I just sent off my first roll & won't get it back till next week. Should I be looking for any particular characteristics that this lens can show?

Old 03-27-2014   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 36388982
Default Re: 3 different Yashica Mat lenses

If you haven't seen it, this discussion may be of interest-
Flickr: Discussing Yashica-Mat w/Lumaxar Owners in Yashica Mat

Brian v.
LordV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 464941
Editing OK?: No

I have a 124G viewing and taking are Yashinon. Viewing is an 80mm f1:2.8, Taking is an 80 f1:3.5.
Lovely glass.
stdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #4
Vicuna

MAT SHOT JEEP.jpg

YashM03b.jpg

YashM11b.jpgI should have reported back earlier on my lens discovery. The Lumaxer lens on my YashicaMat was made in Germany & sent to Japan for assembly into the Mat in 1957. Not many built like this, though you can still find them for sale. Here's a couple reults of my YashicaMat.
Not too bad for a 50+ year old camera.
ransom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 41
Editing OK?: Ask First

Yashinons and Lumaxar lenses are roughly equivalent - they are a both 4 element Zeiss Tessar copy that is equal in quality to the Tessar. Yashikors are the weakest of the bunch, as they are only 3 element lenses.

Yashica started out making the cheaper Yashikor lenses, and they out-sourced the Lumaxar lenses from Germany (from a company known at the time as Tomioka - now part of Kyocera, who had a German lens division that served as a lower cost supplier to Zeiss) for their higher-end cameras. As their volumes ramped up among serious photographers, they got tired of shipping a portion of their profits to an OEM lens supplier, so they copied the Tessar themselves - the newer lens being called Yashinon, and stopped out-sourcing the Lumaxars.
dougjgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014   #6
Vicuna

Thanks for the info, Doug.
ransom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

I have heard that German made lens story before. I did not believe it.

Back in the early days there were dozens if not hundreds of small manufactures in Japan. Most of them made a few part and others bought parts from them and assembled cameras. There is a reason why early post war Japanese cameras all looked alike, they were buying their parts from the same suppliers.

The Lumaxar lenses were made by one Japanese company, the body castings by another, etc. As Yashica became more successful they started making their own parts. The allied government had voided all German pattens so anyone could copy their lenses and the Lumaxar was a decent Tessar copy, some of us think it was a bit better than the Yashinon.
Old 09-23-2016   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Only recently noticed this post , I've owned a one time 4 yashicaMats , one was the 124
model , I've since sold all but one , drum roll , I kept the one with the Lumaxar lens . Got
prints back only last week and all the salesmen were somewhat gobsmacked at the quality
of the pictures . The camera is quite competent . Peter

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: