Pentax 67
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Pentax 67

Would a Pentax 67 be a good place to start for someone who has never tried medium format before? I am looking at used cameras on ebay and wondered what you guys thought about this one. Is there anything I need to know as a medium format newbie looking at cameras that could help me pick?

Old 10-13-2013   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 3937042
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Pentax 67

There are three different medium format Pentax cameras, the Pentax 6x7, the Pentax 67, and the Pentax 67II. The Pentax 67 was build between 1989 and 1998, and is a great camera with lots of lenses to choose from. This makes it fairly easy to find used lenses, such as the great 4.0/55mm, the 2.8/90mm, or the 2.8/165mm.

However, the camera is quite heavy and large. The noise when taking the image is impressive... Think of it as a 35mm SLR on steroids. Due to the large mirror, a tripod is recommended for longer shutter speeds longer than 1/30. The newer Pentax 67II also sports an Aperture priority exposure mode.

I think that the Pentax is a great medium format camera with great lenses, especially at the current prices. If you are looking for a lighter, smaller, and very quiet camera, you may want to have a look at the (unfortunately more expensive) Mamiya 6 or 7, for example.

Cheers
Andreas
Valdecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #3
Alpaca

Thanks for responding because the one I was looking at was a 6x7 not the 67. The description said 67 6x7 so it confused me. They look similar I'm not sure exactly what the differences are other than newer versus older. Are there significant differences? I found this but it doesn't really tell me too much. Pentax 6x7, Pentax 67 and Pentax 67II Compared - PentaxForums.com. Can the wood handles be taken off? I'm not sure if I would want that or not.
redhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #4
Guanaco

The Pentax 6x7 came in two different versions. The first models didn't include a mirror lockup (which is quite useful), later ones did.

The main difference between the 6x7 and the Pentax 67 model is the addition of a fully electro-mechanical shutter on the Pentax 67 in contrast to the old mechanical shutter on the 6x7 version. Other than that, there isn't a lot of difference between the 6x7 and 67 models.

Here's a link to the download of the Pentax 6x7 camera manual(s) in PDF form, it also shows you how to remove the wooden handle (in the Pentax 6x7 System Booklet):
Pentax 6X7 instruction manual, Pentax 6x7 prism finder, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

The grip can easily be removed with a single screw.

Cheers
Andreas

Last edited by Valdecus; 10-13-2013 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 10-13-2013   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 1028299
Editing OK?: No

I shot a Pentax 6x7 for many years. I had an aluminum case, 3 lenses, pentaprism and wooden handle. It was a beast on location but it was also a beast of burden. Still have it. This camera in any of its formats makes the transition a bit more comfortable IMHO.
RetCombatVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #6
Alpaca

what would be a good price for a used 67 with 3 lenses about?
redhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #7
Guanaco

Anywhere between 300 and 900 USD for the body plus appr. 150 to 250 USD per lens. I'd recommend looking at trustworthy camera stores, such as keh.com :
http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Med...c=80227&r=WG&f

Cheers
Andreas
Old 10-18-2013   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

The camera is undoubtedly an industry work horse of long standing reliability. It is simply designed and well constructed. The lenses are of top quality and you can expect many years of continued preformance if the camera is still in good condition at this point in its life.

Be sure not to drop this camera on you foot! Using it with a neck strap might not be a great idea either unless you frequent the chiropractor's office. The accessory hand grip weighs more than some of the current DSLRs. The 6x7 images make for fine enlargements and outstanding transparencies.

The only thing I would worry about, here in North America, is the ongoing dearth and discontinuance of medium format films, especially in the 220 size. If you go into the Hasselblad line or the Mamiya RB and RB series of medium format cameras, there is the possibility of adding a digital back. Sadly, the Pentax MF cameras have hinged back doors which do not accommodate interchangeable film magazines or digital conversions.

Ed
Old 10-18-2013   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 1028299
Editing OK?: No

You know I just happened to think of something I should have mentioned. The shutter speeds really have to be watched. I believe it is because of the weight but that is not a scientific fact just a hunch. Another place that has always had a good selection though I haven't looked recently is Helix Camera. I have dealt with their Chicago store fro 30 years and really cannot say a single negative thing about them. Their prices are a little more but the consistent customer care is worth it to me.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: