Medalist vs Medalist II
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Medalist vs Medalist II

I have the urge to buy a Kodak Medalist camera. I see that eBay has both Medalist and Medalist IIs, but I don't know which I want. I'm not looking for a collectable camera - I want to use it.
90% of the time I'll shoot Tri-X in available light.

What are the differences in the the old and "new" models of the Medalist? Why would I buy a Medalist II over a Medalist I?

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2013   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Medalist vs Medalist II

The lens coatings and shutter are different. The II offers a synchronized shutter and coatings designed for color film, which you would not need shooting Tri-X available light.

See here: Kodak Medalist
Old 08-19-2013   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383
Editing OK?: Yes

Both models were designed for 620 film. 120 film can be used with modified cameras, 120 film respelled onto 620 spools, or with modified 120 spools. These are well built, but very heavy, cameras.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #4
Alpaca

they are both great cameras i have had both of them, what i liked about the medalist I is that it had a fine focus wheel, which was replaced with a flash sync in the medalist II
goldenimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #5
Alpaca

Some of my favorite colour pics are with my Medalist 1, short of shooting directly into the sun, you'll have no problems with the single coating on the Medalist 1 Peter
Peter Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 464941
Editing OK?: No

As others have said lens coating differ, shutter and sync port. However unless modified the PC socket on the II's are usually a proprietary to Kodak plug and take a special cord end I can't remember the part # off hand but it's easy to find out.

What really makes the Medalist series so special is the EKTAR lenses which rival just about anything made today. Kodak really went the whole hog on these and remember they came out in 1940.
If you are one to wimp out about the weight of a modern DSLR forget it as these weight in at 3 lbs. and I think the leather case is heaver yet because of the plate in them.

Not a fast camera to operate and the best advice I have BEFORE trying to do anything with it is to read the instruction manual. It's a step by step camera but the results are well worth it.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: