Where does one develop medium format film these days?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Where does one develop medium format film these days?

I'm interested in possibly starting off with a cheapy Holga for gits & shiggles and eventually upgrading to something I can actually control the aperture and lens on. For those as curious as me, this can be expanded to large format, which, if I'm not mistaken, is usually just done by the same photographer who exposed the film.

Btw, totally new here. First post/thread... Woot!

Old 05-14-2013   #2
Alpaca

Default Re: Where does one develop medium format film these days?

Disregard this comment. Totally failing at the posting thing. Lol
Silver90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 758661

Your B&W 120 film can be processed in your kitchen. You'll need a changing bag, a tank/reel combo, chemicals, a "church key" bottle opener and scissors.
Bob Ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479
Editing OK?: Yes

Black and white is best done in the kitchen at home.
For colour, at least here in Europe, the big commercial processors servicing the drug-store chains like Cewe still accept them at more or less the same costs as the 35mm film, although they don't announce it widely. Just put them into the film-bag. You might to write a mail to their customer relations department to ask first, if you're unsure.
Or you process those too in your kitchen too with a C41 kit like the one by Tetenal. It's nealry as simple.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #5
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in GV View Post
Your B&W 120 film can be processed in your kitchen. You'll need a changing bag, a tank/reel combo, chemicals, a "church key" bottle opener and scissors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by korman View Post
Black and white is best done in the kitchen at home.
For colour, at least here in Europe, the big commercial processors servicing the drug-store chains like Cewe still accept them at more or less the same costs as the 35mm film, although they don't announce it widely. Just put them into the film-bag. You might to write a mail to their customer relations department to ask first, if you're unsure.
Or you process those too in your kitchen too with a C41 kit like the one by Tetenal. It's nealry as simple.

Korman
Wow. I didn't know you could just process film at home like that. I guess it's a consequence of growing up in the digital era, but that's awesome to know. Thank you guys for replying! I was definitely thinking along the lines of sending it out to a film processing company since the local pharmacies that process film don't offer a medium format option that I'm aware of.
Silver90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #6
F1 Camel

Quote:
Your B&W 120 film can be processed in your kitchen. You'll need [...] a "church key" bottle opener [...]
Why would you need this for 120 film?

Korman
Old 05-15-2013   #7
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver90210 View Post
I was definitely thinking along the lines of sending it out to a film processing company since the local pharmacies that process film don't offer a medium format option that I'm aware of.
At least here in Europe, having regular black & white film developed by pharmacies and chain labs is very expensive. If you want to get into this, look in your area for the next gathering of film photographers or photo-club and I'm certain you'll find someone to help you getting started. Just be kind and bring some beer or a bottle of wine.

As for developing colour negative 120 roll-film - those where you find on the box the magic code C-41 - you best ask at your pharmacy. If they're unsure or don't know, send it a test-film. In the worst case you'll get your film back unprocessed a week later. You usually won't find this format announced in the price-lists, but if they still have machines that can process it, they'll run it through them.

Korman
Old 05-15-2013   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 758661

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman View Post
Why would you need this for 120 film?

Korman
Because I had a brain fade.
Bob Ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #9
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 236397

I've had good luck w/these people in the past: www.Prophotoimaging.com
Products>film capture>film capture>120/220 proofing.
Old 05-15-2013   #10
F1 Camel

Quote:
Because I had a brain fade.
A better reason would be, you just had forgotten include the 2 bottles of beer needed to get the agitation pattern just right. And for those a bottle opener is necessary, isn't it? Never forget to include those in the development costs.

Korman

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: