Mamiya 330C
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2006   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Mamiya 330C

I have an opportunity to buy a Mamiya 330C with the 80mm 2.8 lens and 120 holder at a very good price. I have to check it over well, but from just a quick look, it seems to be in very good-excellent condition. The thing that I am hesitating about is that I figure even medium format film will go the way of the dodo soon. And I have become so spoiled by digital that I will have a hard time taking photos that I can't see and play with immediately. And then there is the film and printing costs. However, every time I see a good medium format photo, the difference between it and any digital print is huge. And I get to see a lot of photographs.

I do have a few questions for anyone who has, or has had one of these. I searched the archives, but had no luck in finding such information.

1. Were there any particular weaknesses in this model that I need to specifically check for? (e.g. The Olympus OM-1 had a very common problem with the exposure meter going bad after a number of years.)

2. I plan on using this for mainly landscape photography. I know it isn't the most ideal since the negative is square, and it weighs a lot, but it is the med. format camera I can get at a good price now. Any comments/thoughts about using this camera for that?

3. What are this cameras strong points? Weak points--or weakest point?

4. How would you compare the TLR Mamiya against something like a Pentax 645 or other MF SLR?

5. What's the difference between "black" and "silver" lens? I have read that black lens are better...true?

I can get it for about $300 which, if it is truly in good condition seems like a good deal. Used film cameras of all types in Japan are falling quickly in price. Perhaps I would be better off to wait on a Pentax 645, but they still go for about $500. Best thing is, my wife offered to get it for my late Christmas present.

I actually hope someone else buys it so I won't have to decide....

Equipment list: A black box with lens.
drichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Mamiya 330C

Here's a good thread on comparing the Mamiya to other MF cameras: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DyJJ

The pros are definitely the interchangeable lenses and affordable cost. It is a heavy camera, and the square format can be a hindrance for landscapes (but I like it). It does have parallax issues that you will need to be aware of, but that is true of most twin lens cameras. Basically, if the subject is close, the two lenses don't see the same thing exactly, but the Mamiya does have correction guides on the taking lens.

I wouldn't worry about film going away for medium format. It is still readily available and reasonably priced.

A Pentax 67 would be great for landscapes since it is a horizontal rectangle format. The 645 you mentioned is good for portraits, but I wouldn't use it for landscapes since the rectangle is vertical (taller than wide).

Sounds like a good deal to me. There's nothing like looking at those big negatives!
Latinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006   #3
Vicuna

Thanks for the reply. I am going to go look it over this evening, and if it is in as good of condition as it looks, I plan to get it. At that price, I would regret it if I don't get it.

There is still plenty of film-related products available here (Tokyo), so yea, I expect it will be around for years. If not, I'll have a decent collector camera anyway.
Old 12-30-2006   #4
Alpaca

I adore my C330, it's an absolute joy to use.

One thing to watch out for is that the gaps between each frame on the film can vary.* Apparently the gearing wears, but I don't think it ever gets so bad that the frames overlap.* I had mine serviced and the gears replaced just once in the, ummm, 27 years (gulp) that I've had it. Of course, you won't know this until you get to see a recent strip of negatives.

Oh, they smell great too... well, mine does.
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066

I have never used the C330 but I have used and loved the C3, C22 and C220 (I preferred the film winding mechanism of these models over the C33 and the C330). When I finally wore mine out, I would have replaced them with a newer model, except, Mamiya had discontinued them. I instead went with a 6x7 and 6x9cm format.

Here are the strong points that were important to me:

1. Quiet when compared to a medium format SLR
2. Good quality interchangeable lenses at a reasonable price (I had the 80mm, 180, and 55mm)
3. The 180mm was a great portrait lens
4. Able to produce high quality images
5. Close-up feature was very useful for product shots and wedding close-ups
6. Dependable (very important to me when shooting weddings)
7. Interchangeable view finder (in addition to the waist-level finder, I had the prism finder)
8. Square format (donít have to worry about portrait or landscape orientation)
9. Battery independent
10. Great camera for those who prefer manual/mechanical cameras
11. It is easy to perform double exposures with the C3, C22 and C220. I am not sure about the C330.
12. Flash sync at all shutter speeds
13. Waist level viewing ideal for full length portrait shooting.

Here are the weak points. Only the first one was important to me.

1. Mamiya abandoned this great TLR, therefore, it is only available on the used market
2. Heavy and bulky when compared to the Yashica Mat or Rollieflex TLR. However, when I used it with the 180mm lens, a pistol grip, and the very heavy prism finder for shooting sports, the weight helped me keep it steady for some very high quality shots.
3. The bellows is fragile
4. The 6x6cm format must be cropped for rectangular print sizes
5. No for those who prefer automatic/electronic cameras
6. No built-in exposure meter (who needs one if you have a good hand held meter)
7. Parallax was a problem for hand held close-up shots but no problem for tripod mounted studio work
8. Limited film load of 24 exposures
9. Not good for rapid film changing
10. Not ideal for candid street shooting but then what medium format camera is.
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15

Mamiya - A fine camera, square format is preferred in Europe. I still shoot film as I experienced to many "file not found" message - BUT am now moving to digitial. I use Mamiya 645 & RB 67, and just purchased Sony DSLR
Old 01-28-2007   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 8692
Editing OK?: Ask first

There's a very large medium format area in the Photography section on ebay...you may want to check that out too. I have a mint condition Mamiya 645 1000s that I plan on dusting off and putting back into use. These are selling for around $150 for the body, and lenses are readily available. I was scanning ebay just yesterday, and there are quite a few listings for TLR's and associated lenses/accessories/parts. Thanks to digital, the MF prices are really dropping.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: