Pentax 645D
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 5067
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Pentax 645D

I had a chance to play with the new Pentax digital 645 at WPPI last week. They had a model and a single light studio setup, handed us an SD card and let us play. I used the 90mm lens and OMG what 40 Mega Pixels can do! You could see every line in the iris of her eye. The camera was comfortable to handle, controls pretty much all within reach...and at $8700 with a lens, it got my attention! Now I just have to figure out how to slip it into the budget without my wife finding out...

Old 03-20-2013   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Pentax 645D

Seems Pentax got some marketing help from crack-dealers.

Now, how much of your current gear would you want to sell off in order to get your hand on the Pentax? If you jump that way, why not do it completely?

Have some uncomfortable, restless nights weighting the options.

NB: I decided to do medium-format with film only and a decent scanner. That fits my budget better.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 5067

Ya Korman, I shoot an RZ 67, and a Zone VI 4x5 in film for fun too. But in the studio, it's a 5d MkII. What I find hard about the film is finding the shots that I'm willing to spend $6 per snap on...make that $18 to 20 if you bracket the shot...with the digital, after that initial investment, I just shoot everything that catches my eye.
kerbscustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbscustom View Post
I had a chance to play with the new Pentax digital 645 at WPPI last week. They had a model and a single light studio setup, handed us an SD card and let us play. I used the 90mm lens and OMG what 40 Mega Pixels can do! You could see every line in the iris of her eye. The camera was comfortable to handle, controls pretty much all within reach...and at $8700 with a lens, it got my attention! Now I just have to figure out how to slip it into the budget without my wife finding out...
I just saw this thread and I too played with the new Pentax digital Med format at WPPI. I have owned several med format Pentax over the years and also 35 Pentax equip( 6x7, 645n, LX, MX, K1000). I finally switched from their 1stD over to Nikon because Pentax was taking forever to put out professional grade digital equip and I couldn't wait any longer. I still love their glass! Anyway, other than give you a huge file yo work with, I thought their MF was kind of a dog.... Painfully slow auto focus and the lenses were way to limiting also for my kind of portraiture.....I think it would be a great system for some types of commercial work.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: