I just got a cool old
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2006   #1
Jon
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I just got a cool old

Mamiya C3 (6x6 120) with the "chrome series" 80mm f/2.8, hot shoe attachment, and what I assume is the "standard" waist-level finder.

It looks to be in perfect mechanical condition, I don't *see* any holes in the bellows, but it's pretty dirty.

I'm really looking forward to having some fun with this unit, anyone have any experiece, good or bad, or perhaps fond memories with this camera that they'd like to share?

In the future, I might be interested in getting another viewing/taking lens/shutter plate (this is my first TLR so not 100% on all of the nomenclature yet), any input is appreciated as to where one might find items for this model (KEH, eBay and etc are standard search zones for older equipment, of course).

Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Default Re: I just got a cool old

Yay!
Old 12-17-2006   #3
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Don't know if LatinBob on here knows about this particular model, but he knows about this whole bellows thing, as well as 120 film and 6x6 negatives. Shoot some and take it over to his kitchen and he'll develop it for ya.

Drop him a note or wait for him to see this....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006   #4
Jon
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 56

Yah, I might shoot him a PM shortly.

I figure I'll go straight into the fire with it and shoot some Ektachrome first thing and see what happens
Old 12-17-2006   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first

The Mamiyas are built like tanks and as long as the bellows are good, you should be good to go. Here's a link to the Mamiya manual: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/instructionmanuals.html It's free but you have to use the supplied credentials to get to it.

I'd keep an eye on KEH first for lenses and accessories, and also eBay.

Get you some film and go try that dude out! Keep in mind the image is reversed! That's the hardest thing to get used to with a TLR.
Latinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 24

I just picked up an imaculate 330 with a 55mm lens to go with my C22 with a 105 Lens. Im looking forward to taking it to Big Sur for some sea scapes.

Dogs have masters
Cats have staff!
sjprg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

Jon,

Go into a darkened room and open the bellows all the way with the lenses removed and put a flash light in side in bare bulb mode. A Mini MagLight is a good model. That will show you any holes. You can also put you eye up close to the opening and fire a flash on the outside and see if you see points of light when it goes off.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007   #8
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Jon,

Go into a darkened room and open the bellows all the way with the lenses removed and put a flash light in side in bare bulb mode. A Mini MagLight is a good model. That will show you any holes. You can also put you eye up close to the opening and fire a flash on the outside and see if you see points of light when it goes off.
That is a good tip.

Much better idea than filling it all up with water and seeing where the leaks are

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12

I had a Mamiya C3 with 80mm, a 180mm, and a 55mm lenses. These are great cameras, and even the chrome lenses are fantastic. I especially liked the 80mm. If memory serves, I made this image with that camera:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plant 1 crop.jpg (124.9 KB, 89 views)
student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

I still use my C330 every Forth of July to take fireworks pictures. This year I will try my Canon 5 D.

While the C330 is a fine camera and you will make good pictures with it, I did find that the Hasselblad was superior, both in image quality and functionality. The ability to see what you are shoot, lens hoods and vignettes, Polaroid backs and availability of rental lenses, shifted me in that direction.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: