Mamiya 645 Super
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 170
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Mamiya 645 Super

I recently acquired a Mamiya 645 Super by accident. I would like to use this and see what it can do. It came with an 80mm lens. I intend to shoot mainly landscapes and would like some counseling as to what lens or lenses I might be advised to acquire. I am really just looking to have some fun here so any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Old 07-31-2012   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Default Re: Mamiya 645 Super

Wide angle lenses are nice for landscape photography. Mamiya makes 55mm and 35mm wide angle lenses for their 645 series.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 33121
Editing OK?: Ask first

If you start with what you have, you'll learn what you need. I think that would be a better approach than throwing $$$ at it without first finding out if there are any limitations to overcome. You may be surprised.

“Light makes photography. Embrace the light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography.” ---George Eastman
Naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 170

Thanks guys. The only lens that came with the camera is an 80mm. I am primarily interested in landscape, sunrise and sunset. Is this going to get me where I need to go, or is there some other things I need to look at.Being totally honest I guess I just really want to hurry to find out what this little machine can do. Thanks Brooks and Doug as your advice is sound.
olcoach10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 451

Graduated neutral density filters are a good things to have for low sun. You didn't mention whether or not you have a tripod but those are needful too.
Mike_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #6
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 1445

Treat this camera gingerly. The Super suffered from a chronic failure of the shutter electronics. When the shutter fails, the camera defaults to 1/500th shutter speed, regardless of the setting you use, or how fresh the battery inserted.

If you have all the other accessories, ie. lens, prism, film backs, winder, etc. They will all fit on the replacement body... The Mamiya 645 Pro. Available in great quantity and for very reasonable prices.

With the exception of that particular model, the early m645s, the following Pro and Pro TTL all used the same lenses. The Super, the Pro, and the Pro TTL all used the same metered and non metered prisms and winders.

Great system, and a very fun MF experience.
Saichiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 746

Hove Pro-Guide: Mamiya: Medium Format Systems by Bob Shell. ISBN: 0 906447 76 3. 208 pages.
Gasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I have a digital 645 and I purchased a 45mm lens from Adorama in great condition for about $400. It is an older lens but works great and is better than paying out $2k.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: