Where to buy 8x10 black and white film? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012   #21
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Where to buy 8x10 black and white film?

Large format cameras can be had for a song right now. 4x5 is very affordable. 8x10, not so much. Experiencing a resurgence in lith printing and other UV printing methods. I am still an old classic silver printer.

I would love a larger format digital back for a view camera, but just can't rationalize $40,000 for one. Getting a medium format one and slapping it on and calling it large format doesn't cut if for me and still runs about $20K.

So anyone out there who has larger format back that they don't use and want to gift it to an itinerant tinkerer, let me know and I will arrange pick up or delivery.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012   #22
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

For a while, I had a brick of 4x5 film in the freezer at one point even up here, but I ended up giving it to a close friend to use.

One of these days I'll have a 4x5 camera of my own, if there's still film to be shot. I might even be able to get one of those green Speed Graphics, with the matching army green box and stuff.
Old 07-08-2012   #23
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Large format cameras can be had for a song right now. 4x5 is very affordable. 8x10, not so much. Experiencing a resurgence in lith printing and other UV printing methods. I am still an old classic silver printer.

I would love a larger format back for a view camera, but just can't rationalize $40,000 for one. Getting a medium format one and slapping it on and calling it large format doesn't cut if for me and still runs about $20K.

So anyone out there who has larger format back that they don't use and want to gift it to an itinerant tinkerer, let me know and I will arrange pick up or delivery.
I assume at those prices you are talking digital backs.

With the exception of scanning backs (sort of like a scanner you mount on the back of the camera), I do not think there really is such a thing as a large format digital back. Just medium format sized sensors that mount on a large format camera. Those are the reason for the small format (2x3, 2x2) view cameras that several of the manufacturers are making now.
Old 07-08-2012   #24
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

Yes, sorry that was unclear. Digital backs. I edited my post to reflect that more clearly.

Sinar has the only one I can think of. The rest are, as you say, medium format sized on an adapter plate. Some of those are pretty good sized, but still not large format. So while you get the benefit of camera movements, there isn't that big of an increase in quality.

I recently tested the Hassy H40 vs my Canon 5D classic. The 5D file looks better when both are enlarged to 30x40 while being viewed on the computer. I haven't made a print yet of each one, but that is next. I don't really want two prints that size of the test, so I am going to shoot another image.

This makes it hard even to justify the jump to medium format digital.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #25
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 240

This is good info...........I thought film this size would cost an arm and a leg........I am gonna head to the links and find out. For 8x10 I have been thinking in terms of shooting paper............and wet plate. Loving this forum.
BlindPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #26
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 240

I am so very very excited...........just went to BH and the sheet film is readily available.........wow. How dumb not to have found that..but I guess the teacher arrives when the student is ready......exciting time ahead.
BlindPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #27
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 3642

Have you ever tried x-ray film ? It doesn't see red so you can buy all the way up to 15"x30"
and cut it up under a deep red safelight . I just bought some Agfa green sensitive in 10x12
100 shts. for $41.00 from buycheapxrayfilm.com . I get 6 shts. of 4x5 out of 1 sht. of 10x12 ,
You get very intresting effects in landscape and portraiture
johnpohl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #28
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 3642

Sorry , i forgot , you shoot it at 6 asa and tray develop in dectol 1:6 at 6 min.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Medium and Large Format »

Share this topic: